Ethiopia - Apply for International Driver Permit
An International Driving Permit is an authorization that allows a person to drive a vehicle in a foreign country without being tested without applying for another permit in the foreign country.
An international driving license is any motor vehicle driver’s qualification certification license issued in accordance with the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic, signed in Geneva, Switzerland, on the 19th day of September 1949
To Obtain a Driving permit in Ethiopia one must have a valid resident permit, if a permanent resident has a permanent resident from another country, on arrival he must authenticate his drivers license at the embassy of the country that issued the license and certify the Authenticity of the license at the ministry of Foreign Affairs after that submit to the Ministry of Transport in Ethiopia.
Eighteen (18) years and above.
Ads by Google
1.An applicant must have a Ethiopian national driver’s license;
2.Applicants must be of sound mind;
3.In the submitted application, an applicant must state reasons for applying for an International Driver’s Permit.
1.Name of applicant
2.Name of the country where the International Driving Permit is intended to be used.
3.Applicant’s passport number
1.If you do not have an Ethiopian Driver’s license, you will start by obtaining it and in this you shall be required to go through all the steps of obtaining the License as described below. (Those with the national license start with the next step – 2):-
- Attend training at accredited driving school;
- Apply for a driving permit at the Driver's License Centre (DLC) by filling and submitting an online application form and medical form;
- Make payment for both provisional and full driving permit and the Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) theory and practical driving test book;
- Receive a provisional driving permit and a copy of the VIO theory and practical test book;
- Make an online booking for a theory test;
- On the test date comes, go to a test centre appropriate for you to do the test;
- Then make payment for a practical driving test and thereafter make booking for a practical driving test;
- On the date of the driving test, go to the test centre with a suitable vehicle with the entire requirement for the test to be conducted;
- If you pass the practical test, you are issued with a certificate of competence;
- The data earlier collected during the theory test is then sent to the Ethiopian Road Safety Commission (FRSC) for your driving license to be processed;
- You shall then be informed on when to collect your driving license;
2.After obtaining the Ethiopian driver's license, prepare an application letter for the International driving Permit. in the letter among others indicate why you need the driving permit and the country in which you are going to used it;
3.Also obtain an application form from either the Central Motor Registry or from the Ministry of Labour and Productivity and fill it carefully;
4.Make payment for the prescribed fees and submit application letter and application form together with support documents;
5.When application is received, documents are examined and if verified, the permit is processed;
6.The permit is then sent to the Interpol office at the Ethiopian Police Force for verification ans scrutiny ; and
7.Then issued to you;
Ads by Google
- A copy of Original Drivers license.
- Letter of Authenticity from the Embassy
- Certification from the ministry of foreign Affairs.
- Two passport photos.
- Letter of application from a sponsoring organization.
Where a person holding a foreign or international driving license applies for an equivalent category, the Licensing body will issue the requested license upon;
- A) Ascertaining that the government which issued the driving license similarly recognizes Ethiopian driver’s qualification certification license
- B) Being satisfied that the license is authenticated by the concerned body and is currently valid
- C) Receipt of the appropriate fees
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Validity is either one (1) year two (2) years or three year (3).
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Two (2) – three (3) working days if you have all requirement however incomplete applications may take longer.
- Ethiopian Ministry of transport
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Ethiopian Drivers are not much disciplined so foreign drivers must be spatially careful at all times while driving honking is always needed to avoid accidents
- Drivers must be very careful when going through Villages and towns as people tend to cross roads without looking and animals are presence in Ethiopian Roads.
- In Ethiopian Riders insurance are not provided so foreigners planning to drive on Ethiopian Roads must have their medical insurance/emergence insurance.
- If any driver is involved or cause accident he must pay for the any damages caused.
- There different types of pavements on Ethiopian Roads,grave off roads,sand off roads and off roads with a bigger stones.
- Emergency services are non Existence in many parts of the country so drivers should always spare tires,fuel and tools on long trips.
A) The driver of any foreign registered vehicle permitted to be driven on the roads of Ethiopia should possess a valid certificate of insurance and insurance sticker or, where the insurance policy is not issued by a local insurance company, he shall produce a yellow card or an equivalent proof of Insurance coverage.
B) The insurance coverage against third party risks with respect to an accident caused by any foreign registered vehicle while driven on the Ethiopian road should not be less than the amount of compensation specified under Article I60fthis Proclamation.
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.