West Bengal - Obtain a Death Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Register a Death
- Registration of Death are maintained in the
KMC Main Office,
Health Department at 5, S.N. Banerjee Road,
Kolkata - 700 013.
- Registering death of your beloved one shall be done with Municipal officers by filling up the form prescribed by the Registrar.
- Link for municipality contact details:Contacts Link
- If you report orally, the officials in the municipality might registrar the information in the appropriate reporting form and get your signature or thumb impression. This information will then be kept along with register for processing
- One can get two copies of the death certificate with registration from the burning ghat or burial ground and the computerized certificate can be obtained from the Health Department against the stipulated fee. You may have to furnish receipt from crematorium or burial ground.
- A death can be reported and registered
- by the head of the family, in case it occurs in a house.
- by the medical in-charge if it occurs in a hospital.
- by the jail in-charge if it occurs in a jail.
- by the headman of the village or the in-charge of the local police station in case the body is found deserted in that area.
- Birth or death is to be compulsorily registered within 1 year of its occurrence. In case of late registration beyond one year of occurrence of death, then it can only be done by the orders of Executive or 1st Class Magistrate of the KMC area.
Apply Online: - West Bengal Obtain a Death Certificate Online With Images
- To apply online for death certificate, applicant has to visit the official website of west Bengal using this link :Official site
- Registered user shall enter their username, password and captcha as per prompt to login by hitting “Login” tab. New user shall use the “citizen registration” option to register and then login
- A new screen will be provided. Please select “NKDA” option under “Development authority” to get sub option on the right part of the screen. Here select “Registration of death at NKDA” option to reach next screen.
- In the next window, User shall go through the information provided and hit “Apply” tab.
- A new screen will be provided. Please complete the page prompt with details for respective sessions and hit “Save & Next” tab.
- In continuation of the above steps, user has to complete the Address of decease at the time of death, Details of deceased, Details of father, details of mother, details of spouse, permanent address of deceased, other details and hit “Save & Next” tab.
- In the next screen user shall go through the details and hit “Attach supporting document” tab.
- User shall choose the file as appropriate to upload. Once upload is complete, hit “Save & Next” tab. Next screen will prompt user to upload document, please select options as applicable and upload the document and then hit “Upload” to get documents uploaded successfully message.
- Resulting screen provides Application details. Please hit “Submit” tab here to submit application online.
- Once all the above steps are completed, user will get acknowledgement for the submission of online application form . Please keep it safe for future reference by using “Print” tab to print it.
- User gets notification about the rest of the process. Please follow the guidelines of the respective authority to get the certificate.
- To obtain certificate, applicant has to login again as explained above. Please Click on the ‘Approved Application’ displayed in the menu bar to get list of approved applications.
- Applicant will have to click on the ‘Certificate’ icon to get death certificate
- Proof of birth of the deceased
- Aadhaar card of the deceased
- ID card of the applicant
- Residential Proof
- Application form for Death Certificate : Form Link
- An affidavit specifying the date and time of death or death slip by doctor
- Receipt from crematorium or burial ground.
Office Locations & Contacts
- Department of Municipal Affairs
DF-8, Sector-I, Salt Lake,
Kolkata - 700064
- The License Officer,
5, S.N.Banerjee Road,
Kolkata 700 013, India
Ph : +91 33 2286-1000 (28 Lines),
Control Room : +91 33 2286-1212/1313/1414
Fax +91 33 2286-1444
Call Centre - Working Days
Mon-Fri : 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM and Sat : 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Ph : 155360 , 2226-9909 , 18003453375 (Toll Free)
Contact Link: Link for contact and Department link
- Any citizen or any foreigner's legal heir, the death of whose relative takes place in the State.
- Parents and relatives of the deceased.
- No charge for first 2 copies of Death certificates issued from Crematorium or Burial Ground
- Rs.100/- for each additional copy of Death certificates
Death Certificate valid forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- Death certificate will be issued on the spot at the Crematorium or burial ground.
- Once the application process is complete and details are recorded, the certificate can be obtained on the same day
West Bengal - Obtain A Death Certificate
- Only if the event of death is registered, in those circumstances only the death certificate is issued.
- The death certificate is issued only when the death is registered within 21 days of its occurrence under the Registration of Death Act 1969.
- With the permission of the Registrar the death certificate can be obtained if the death is reported of the occurrence within a year.
- Executive / 1st Class Magistrate of the area can only registrar issues a death certificate if the death is reported beyond the time limit of one year of its occurrence.
- Every death cannot be registered by KMC. Only those occurring within the area of KMC jurisdiction can only be registered by KMC.
Death Certificate Application form Form
- Name of Deceased
- Date of Death
- Name of Father/Husband of the Deceased
- Address of Deceased
- Place of Death
Need for the Document
- As per the Registration of Births and Deaths Act 1969, it is mandatory to register every death with the concerned State Government within 21 days of its occurrence. If not registered within 21 days, permission has to be obtained from the Registrar/Area Magistrate by paying prescribed fee for late registration and can get death certificate.
- A Death Certificate is a document issued by the Government to the nearest relatives of the deceased, stating the date, fact and cause of death.
- It is essential to register death to prove the time and date of death, to establish the fact of death for relieving the individual from social, legal and official obligations
- To enable settlement of property inheritance, the family to collect insurance and other benefits.
- Death certificate is an important official document issued for the purpose of settlement of all the belongings and benefits of the deceased individual to the relatives
Information which might help
- If you report the death within 21 days of occurrence, you can obtain free copy of the death certificate/extract after verification.
- Deaths taking place in a medical institution will be intimated for registration by the institution directly to the registering authority
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Death Certificate can be used as proof of death to get death benefit.
KMC Procedure To Get Death Ceritficate KMC
West Bengal Death Certificate Application form Certificate
More information which might help people.