Singapore - Apply for Citizenship
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
1.) Check if you are eligible to apply.
2.) Download and fill up the citizenship application form and annex, for yourself and your spouse (if any). Affix one recent passport-sized colour photograph of the applicant to the completed citizenship application form. The Citizenship application form is also obtainable at the Citizen Services Centre.
3.) Apply at the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority
Applying in person
Submit the completed citizenship application form with all supporting documents to Counter 7 or 8 of the Citizen Services Centre located on the 6th floor of ICA Building. As much as possible try to avoid the peak periods.
Submit your application through the ICA Website: https://esc.ica.gov.sg/esc/index.do
You will also need make an appointment for an interview session at the ICA building. Follow link to book an interview: https://eappointment.ica.gov.sg/ibook/index.do
4.) Interview with the ICA
The interview officer will compare the documents that you have submitted against your application form. You will be asked to make a declaration before the interviewing officer, stating that all information provided in your application is true and correct.
If you are applying as a spouse of a Singapore citizen, your spouse (the sponsor) must also be present during the interview.
The child must be present at least once during the interview stage or collection of citizenship certificate at the ICA or Embassy / High Commission of Singapore.
5.) You will be notified of the outcome of your Singapore citizenship application by mail. The notification will indicate the appointment date for you to register for Singapore citizenship at the ICA.
You will also be advised to renounce your foreign citizenship at the relevant embassy or High Commission in Singapore.
6.) Visit the relevant embassy or High Commission in Singapore with your passport. You will be issued with letters stating the renunciation of your citizenship, and the surrender of your passport.
Note: This step is not compulsory for applicants below age 21 and whose nationality is stateless.
7.) Complete Citizenship Registration Formalities.
Prepare all necessary documents. On the day of your appointment, proceed to Citizen Services Centre. Obtain a queue number to complete the registration of your citizenship and apply for your identity card and Singapore passport.
After paying the fees, you will take the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty before the Commissioner of Oaths.
Take note of the operating hours of the Citizen Services Centre:
MonFri: 8.00 am4.30 pm
No citizenship registration on Saturday
Closed on Sunday and public holidays
8.) You will be required to attend a citizenship ceremony at a later date. (applicants below 6 years of age are exempted from the ceremony.) A citizenship folder comprising your citizenship certificate and identity card will be presented to you at the citizenship ceremony.
If you need other official confirmation of your citizenship status, you can request for a letter of confirmation from the ICA. For more information, please visit the ICA website.
Note: If you are aged 21 or younger If you were registered as a Singapore citizen by descent or registration, you must renounce your foreign citizenship (if applicable) and take the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty within 12 months of your 21st birthday. Failure to do so will result in an automatic loss of citizenship on reaching the age of 22.
1.) Citizenship Application Form : http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/docs/Citizen%20Services/Form_SCRA.pdf.
2.) One recent passport-sized colour photograph of the applicant. The photograph must be:
- 35 mm wide by 45 mm high without border and taken within the last three months;
- Must be taken full face without headgear, unless the applicant habitually wears a headgear in accordance with religious or racial customs. The headgear must not hide the applicant's facial features;
- The facial image must be between 25 mm and 35 mm from chin to crown; and taken against plain white background with a matt or semi-matt finish;
- Photographs can be taken at the photo booths located at level 1 of ICA Building.
3.) Annex to Singapore Citizenship Application Form (Article 123(1)): http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/docs/Citizen%20Services/AdultAnnex.pdf
Note: You are required to provide several documents to support your application. For a full list of documents required, please refer to http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=132#documents
To Complete Citizenship Registration Formalities
1.) Original and a photocopy of the renunciation letter of foreign citizenship
2.) Letter stating the surrender of your foreign passport from the relevant authorities (not applicable for applicants below age 21 and for applicants whose nationality is "stateless")
Office Locations & Contacts
Immigration and Checkpoints Authority
Citizen Services Centre
ICA Building, 10 Kallang Road,
Singapore 208718 (beside Lavender MRT)
Queue ticket issuing hours:
MonFri: 8.00 am4.30 pm
Sat: 8.00 am12.30 pm
Busy days to avoid:
MonFri: 10.00 am2.00 pm
Sat: 9.00 am1.00 pm
Mon, Fri, Sat & school holidays
Eve of/after public & school holidays
March, June, September & December
T: 6391 6100
F: 6298 0837, 6298 0843
Note: All operating hours listed exclude public holidays.
Applying by yourself
- Aged 21 or older
- Has a permanent resident status for two or more years
- Gainfully employed
Applying as the spouse of a Singapore citizen
- Aged 21 or older
- Married to a Singapore citizen for 2 years or more
- Has a permanent resident status for two or more years
Applying for your child, you must meet one of these sets of requirements:
Citizenship by descent
At least one parent must meet one of these conditions:
- The father is a Singapore citizen who was born in Singapore. Both he and the child's mother were lawfully married at the time of the childs birth.
- The father is a Singapore citizen by registration. Both he and the child's mother were lawfully married at the time of the child's birth. The child must not have acquired citizenship of its country of birth.
- The mother is a Singapore citizen who was born in Singapore (applies to minors born on 15 May 2004 or later).
- The mother is a Singapore citizen by registration (for minors born on 15 May 2004 or later). The child must not have acquired citizenship of its country of birth.
- In the case where the father or mother is a Singapore citizen by descent only (i.e. not born in Singapore), one of the following conditions must apply:
- Within a period of 5 years before the child's birth, the parent must have accumulated at lease 1 year of residence in Singapore within a period of 5 years before the child's birth; or
- The parent must have resided in Singapore for 4 years before the childs birth.
Citizenship by registration
- He/she is the child of a citizen of Singapore; and
- He/she is residing in Singapore; or
- Under special circumstances
You will have to pay the following fees (NETS and CashCard only):
- Application fee : $100
- Citizenship registration: $70
- Identity card: $10
- Passport: $80
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
- Full name
- Home Address
- Email Address
- Contact numbers
- Date and country of birth
- Birth Certificate number
- Singapore IC No. & Date of Issue
- Date of PR granted
- Foreign ID No, Date of issue and Country where it was issued
- Marital status of applicant
- Marriage details
- National Service Liability status
- Employment or profession of applicant and employment history
- Educational background
- Details about the applicants family
Need for the Document
A Singapore permanent resident, his spouse and his children are allowed by the government to apply for a Singapore citizenship.
Information which might help
Before you apply for a Singapore citizenship take into cosideration the following:
To apply for citizenship, you must show proof of good character, as well as the intention to reside permanently in Singapore. You must be able to support yourself and your dependents financially. Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) will assess your eligibility based on interviews, your personal documents and background checks.
No dual citizenship
You have to renounce citizenship of your home country and give up your home country passport if you decide to become a Singapore citizen. Singapore does not recognise dual citizenship.
National Service (NS)
Male Singapore citizens must enlist for NS upon rea
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people.