Nigeria - Obtain police clearance certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Apply in person with required documents and pay the applicable fees.
- Residents of Nigeria may apply to the following address:
- Central Criminal Registry
- Force C.I.D. Annex
- Alagbon Close Ikoyi
- Lagos, Nigeria
- Apply by courier to the Commissioner of Police at the address above, to the attention of Inspector Usman Mohammed (telephone: 08033696178).
- A recent passport photo
- Full set of fingerprints (you should be able to get this done from a police station in the Uk)
- Your passport number
Office Locations & Contacts
The Public Relations Officer
Zone 7 Police Command Headquarters
Central Criminal Registry
Force C.I.D. Annex
Alagbon Close Ikoyi
Anyone from any country who has lived or lives in Nigeria for more than 30days.
Price list include cost of processing, postage and the estimated processing and postage time.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Completed form: SAMPLE of Finger Print
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You should apply in person with your valid passport, two passport photographs and the applicable fees.
- Residents of Nigeria should apply to Central Criminal Registry.
- Applicants should apply by courier to the Commissioner of Police at the address below, to the attention of Inspector Usman Mohammed (telephone: 08033696178).
- Applicants should provide a pre-paid return courier envelope, a copy of their passport and a set of fingerprints taken and certified by a recognized police authority or the Nigerian embassy or consulate, and an international money order payable to the Nigerian Police Force, CID.
- Police certificates may be certified at the nearest Nigerian embassy or consulate for a fee.
- Place of Birth
- Year of Birth
- Attach Passport photo
Need for the Document
A police certificate is an official document issued by police or government agency of a country to enumerate any criminal records that the applicant may or may not have. Criminal records may include arrest, conviction, and possibly criminal proceedings.
Police certificate is also known as good citizen certificate, good conduct certificate, police clearance certificate, or judicial record extracts. Applicants may have to submit fingerprints and certain personal information to request a criminal record check, and the police or government agency may charge a fee. If no record found, the police certificate will indicate such.
Information which might help
Relevant document: Police Character Certificate. Apply in person or by post to the address above. Residents to provide:
- An application form (which you can obtain from your local police station),
- fingerprint form (including a full set of fingerprints), and
- two passport photographs.
Non-residents to provide:
- A covering letter formally requesting a Police Character Certificate or alternatively a copy of the Department's letter addressed to you requesting that a certificate from Nigeria be provided
- Two passport size photographs
- A copy of passport (bio data page and entry and departure stamps from Nigeria, and Nigerian visas or evidence of lawful stay if you are not a Nigerian national), and
- A full set of fingerprints taken by the police in your country of current residence.
Fee: Payable. Western Union bank draft made payable to Police Command Headquarters.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
In many immigration cases you may be requested by relevant Government to present Police Clearance Certificate from another country where you have resided for some time. If you are going through immigration process, you will definitely be asked for such a certificate.
The Nigerian police force no longer accepts requests made through the American Embassy. Requests should be addressed to The Deputy Inspector General, Criminal Investigation Department, Nigerian Police Force, Alagbon Close, Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria. Fee should be in the form of an international bank draft payable to the Deputy Inspector General of Police, Fingerprint Section, Nigerian Police Force.
The applicant's letter must state full name, place and date of birth, nationality, passport number, date and place of issuance (for current passport or passport used during applicant's stay in Nigeria), exact periods of residence in Nigeria and addresses where applicant resided. Each applicant 16 years of age and over must enclose (1) a copy of the first three data pages of his or her passport, (2) the pages containing Nigerian visas, entry and departure stamps and (3) a complete set of fingerprints taken by the police in the district where the applicant resides.