Nigeria - Change your Name
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- To apply for Changing a person’s name in person, the applicant has to visit any nearest court in his/her state.
- Please click on the following link for the contact details and address of the office of Federal Ministry of Justice: Link
- Go to the office of the court and get the Affidavit for change of name in the Register according to his/her requirement.
- After completing the Affidavit with respect to the need, attach the documents (as required) and submit it to the relevant authority at the court office for further verification and attestation.
- Collect the sworn affidavit and visit the Department of Production, Publication and Documentation of the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture.
- The contact and address details can be found in the following link: Link
- In the mean time, the applicant should publish the change of name in a newspaper of his/her choice.
- Complete an application form for publishing your modified name in the Nigeria’s official gazette, attach the documents mentioned in the “Required Documents” section of this page and submit it to the relevant authority at the office.
- Your submitted application and attached documents will be put into verification and once everything is found in order, the relevant authority will amend the change of name and publish the change in the gazette, in a prescribed manner.
- Once all the internal processes are over, you may receive a formal notification from the office.
- Completed application form
- Sworn and signed affidavit from court
- Copy of the publication of name change in newspaper
- Declaration for publishing in the official gazette
- Passport size photographs (as instructed)
- Attestation letter
- Proof/receipt of payment
Office Locations & Contacts
Department of Production, Publication and Documentation - HQ
Federal Ministry of Justice, HQ
Plot 71B Shehu Shagari Way,
Phone: (234) 805 088 8806
Phone : (234) 817 759 3311
Email : [email protected]
- Any person in Nigeria, who wants to change his/her name in the Official Gazette, can apply.
- For minors, either of the parents or guardian, who wishes to change the minor’s name, can apply.
- Charges for publication in official gazette: N5000.00
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.gIn the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- It is important that the completed form must contain all the information required properly and the form must be filled legibly, in order to get accepted by the Authority.
- The sworn affidavit must have signed by the Magistrate of court or any authorized officer of the court.
- After publication in the official gazette, the applicants should be notifying his/her employer, institution or any other place in which his/her name plays a predominant role.
- Particulars of the applicant
- Particulars of the Parents or guardian (in case of minors)
- Address and contact details of the applicant
- Identity document number of the applicant
- Payment receipt number
Need for the Document
- This application process is essential to get your change of name notified to the government so that it is authorized officially and get published in the Official Gazette of Nigeria.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people.