Nigeria - Apply for a National Identification Card
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- To apply for a National Identification Card in person, the applicant must visit any nearest Enrolment Centre of the National Identification Management Commission.
- The address and contact details of the National Identification Management Commission can be found in the following link: contact link
- You can also find the enrolment centres’ locations present all over Nigeria in the above link.
- Visit the office and get an enrolment form to obtain a National Identification Card from the relevant department. Or click here to download: application form
- Complete the application form with appropriate information under relevant sections. Attest it with your signature once completed.
- Once completed filling the application form, make sure that you attached all the documents listed in the “Required Documents” section of this page.
- Then, submit it with the required documents in person to the NIMC Enrolment officer at the office. After submission, the application and other documents will be crosschecked for verification.
- Further, the officer will proceed to input the information provided by the applicant on the NIMC Software. The applicant will be asked to check his/her details that have been input in the enrolment software.
- Subsequently, fingerprints and facial image of the applicant will be captured for enrolment and a Transaction ID Slip will be issued to the applicant as an evidence of the transaction.
- Within 1-5 days from the date of application, the applicant will be informed to visit the centre and collect the National Identification Number slip after processing.
- After twelve months, when the National e-ID Card is ready to be collected, the applicant will be notified by the office with a Batch ID Number via SMS.
- Applicants shall walk into the NIMC Card collection Centre and present the text message or email printouts received from NIMC with the batch ID.
- The Card Operations Support Officer uses the batch ID extracted from the Applicant’s SMS in order to sort out his/her Card.
- The Activation Officer after sorting the Card gives the Applicant the e-ID Card to confirm his/her Names and Address on the Card Envelope.
- Following the Applicant’s confirmation, the Applicant is advised to open the card envelope, bring out the e-ID Card, and verify the Names, Date of Birth and Image on the face of the e-ID Card before Activation is done.
- If the Applicant is satisfied with the information on the e-ID Card, the Activation officer collects the e-ID Card from the Applicant for a Match-on-Card (MOC) Verification.
- After the Match-on-Card (MOC) verification, the Activation Officer then Activates the Electronic Public Key Infrastructure (ePKI), Electronic ID (eID), International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Applet and Europay-MasterCard-Visa (EMV) Applet Using a four digit password created by the Applicants (and only known to the applicant).
- The National e-ID Card will be returned to the Applicant after the completion of activation.
FOR PERSONS WHO REQUIRES TO BE ISSUED WITH A NATIONAL IDENTIFICATION CARD:
- Document containing Bank Verification Number
- Existing National ID Card (if any)
- Completed Pre-Enrolment form (if pre-enrolled)
- Completed enrolment form
- Driving License/Temporary or Permanent Voting Registration Card/International Passport Document
- Origin certificate
- NHIS ID card/Government staff ID card/ any Proof of Employment
- Public/private school ID card
- Certificate of Tax clearance
- Applicable Immigration document
- Letter of Attestation prominent ruler of community/ religious/traditional leader
- Certificate of Birth or Age Declaration
PARENTS/GUARDIAN OF MINORS:
- Parent/Guardian’s National Identification Number (NIN) Slip
- Valid supporting document and proof as Guardian to the minor (in case of guardian)
- Certificate of Birth or Age Declaration
Office Locations & Contacts
The Director General/Chief Executive Officer,
National Identity Management Commission,
11 Sokode Crescent,
Off Dalaba Street
Zone 5, Wuse
P. M. B. 18, Garki, Abuja.
Phone: +234-8-157691214, +234-8-157691071, +234-8157691145
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: homepage link
Locations of Enrolment Centres Nationwide: applying centre locations
- Any person born in Nigeria, who is 16 years or older, is eligible to apply for a National Identification Card.
- The person applying must have lived at least for two years inside the Republic.
- In case of minors, the applying person can be his/her parent/guardian.
- The applying person must possess an Identification proof containing photographs.
Moshood Faidat Niniola 08129294046 6/6/2005 Oyo state Okuju ilado Badagry
- The application process for National Identification Number is free of cost.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.gIn the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
- People residing outside the Republic and want to apply for an Identification card should apply at the South African embassy or mission or consulate.
- Applicants are advised to complete the application form neatly and completely with absolute legibility and appropriateness to avoid rejections. Also, all the required documents must be furnished completely.
- The applicants can pre-enrol for the enrolment process which saves time and work done, in the following link: pre-enrolment application link
- Applicants can also choose onsite enrolment which can be done in schools, places of worship, offices, etc. More details can be found in the following page: onsite enrolment information
- Particulars of the applicant
- Bank Verification Number
- Contact information
- Address details
- Type of citizenship
- Driving license number
- Passport number
- Voter card number
- Marital status
- Type of Residence
Need for the Document
- Any resident of the Nigerian Republic will need an Identification card to register for your matriculation exams, get a driving licence, and open a bank account and wherever you must prove your Identification as a Nigerian Citizen.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people.