Wikiprocedure > India

India - Single Status Certificate / Affidavit

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  • Get a notary attestation on the stamp paper declaring your single status
  • Take it to Home department and get it attested. This will take only a day.
  • Then take this affidavit to the Ministry of External Affairs or branch office and get the apostle.
  • You need to take a demand draft of postal order for 50 INR.
  • Take this to the Indian embassy or to other foreign embassy where you wish to marry.

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

  • National identity card or Passport.
  • Proof of address.
  • If divorced, Decree Absolute.
  • If widowed, Death Certificate of previous spouse (and Marriage Certificate).
  • If your name has been changed by Deed Poll, proof is necessary.
  • The relevant fee.
  • Aadhaar Card

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Government of India Web Directory

Indian Missions Abroad

Ads by Google


In order for non-nationals to marry in a foreign country you will most likely be required to produce legal documentation from your country of citizenship verifying single status and that you are free to marry. This is known as a 'Certificate of No Impediment', 'Certificate de Coutume', 'Certificate of Nulla Osta' or a 'Certificate of Freedom to Marry'.


Fee for Notary - INR350
Fee for Attestation - INR105
Fee for Apostile - INR50

If you get the home/SDM attestation and Apostile done via an authorised agent, they charge anywhere from INR2000-3000 depending upon the location.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]


I FULL NAME. S/O FATHER'S NAMEand MOTHER'S NAMER/O ADDRESS, do hereby solemnly affirm and declare as under:-

1.That I am citizen of India.

2. That I was born on DD/MM/YYYY (DAY Day of MONTH. Nineteen Hundred YEAR) at CITY AND STATE.India.

3. That I am holding a valid Indian passport bearing NoPASSPORT NUMBER issued from CITY and valid from DATE ISSUED to DATE EXPIRES

4. That I am still unmarried/single and I have no living spouse at present either in India and abroad.

5. I am eligible to marry an Indian or person of any other nationality according to law.

6. That above are my true and correct statements.



VERIFICATION:- Verified at , India on this day of, 2016 that the contents of above affidavit are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief and nothing has been concealed there from.



Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain the processing your application.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 


  • A single status affidavit is a sworn statement that you are eligible to marry which is also known as the Certificate of No Record or a Certificate of No Impediment or a Certificate of Nulla Osta or a Single Status Statutory Declaration or a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage.
  • You need to get the notary attestation on the stamp paper declaring you are single.
  • Also you need to get the attestation from Sub Divisional Magistrate also get Apostille from Ministry of External Affairs and Embassy of the concerned Country.

Required Information[edit]

  • Family name
  • Given Names
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Age at present
  • Mothers Full Name
  • Fathers Full Name
  • Residential Address

Need for the Document[edit]

Single status certificate is a declaration of origin of your freedom to marry. Almost all countries require that a couple can provide such a certificate before they will issue a marriage licence. Single status certificate now becoming very common in India also, in the Countries like Phillipines, China etc., this should be produced before marriage ,Indians if want to marry foreigners belonging to these countries have to get the single certificate.

Single status affidavit India format Certificates is the act of witnessing a on its own status certificate by authorized person / persons / Departments / Attestation powers that be with their official seal and signature. This attestation as well confirms that, the particular Single status certificate has been issue by that mention department and Seal and signature on that exacting Single status certificate is genuine.

Information which might help[edit]

It is advisable to follow the guidelines that certain authorities deem necessary. Those wishing to marry overseas will need special documentation. First, couples will have to present a declaration that is processed by your local office where marriage documents are produced. This must be from the state where you live in the India. On this statement will be recorded the fact that there has not be any marriage in recent years.

Due to the fact that these types of documents are sought for foreign involvement one will need the local or state registrars account or declaration to be authenticated to work abroad.

  • Go to the Civil Registry office where marriages are registered.
  • Present and submit required documents.
  • Complete a form and declare.
  • Pay the fee.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

The Bride & Groom to be married must provide from their country of Citizenship, individual Certificates of non impediment or Certificate of Single Status/Sworn Affidavit, as proof that they are both indeed single and eligible to marry. This is also called an affidavit of single status or negative statement of marriage. This document can be obtained at the Bureau of Vital statistics in their city they reside.

External Links[edit]

Prime Ministers Office

The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India

Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India


If you are planning to marry in another country, you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment. This document has many different names such as Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marry, Statutory Declaration of Single Status, Affidavit of Intended Marriage, Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad, Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of No Impediment, Certificate of Nulla Osta, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or just free to marry.

Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage

This can be obtained from your local department of foreign affairs or your embassy in the country in which you are getting married.

Certificate of Single Status/Sworn Affidavit that you are free to marry

These are similar to a Certificate of No Impediment, but instead you have to swear you are single in front of a legal representative.