India - Obtain a Marriage Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Marriage registration has to be applied with the respective registrar in whose jurisdiction the husband or wife resides.
- Application form can be obtained from the respective office on visit or can be a written one as advised
- Fill the Application form duly signed by both husband and wife. Submit it to the receiving authority along with required documents and fees as advised.
- The submitted application will be recorded in the registry after verification. Applicant will be provided with the receipt for the submitted application.
- Applicant will be asked to come to the premises on a scheduled date to complete the registration.
- On the said day, both parties, along with a Gazetted Officer who attended their marriage, need to be present before the registrar.
- Please follow the guidelines of the authorities to complete the formalities for registration.
- Applicant and witness will be asked to sign on the registry to endorse their marriage.
- The Certificate will be issued on the same day for the already solemnized marriage.
- In case of the application made in advance (before marriage) for the issuance of certificate, authorities will look for any objection from public for thirty days and then the process will be executed on the day of marriage by a assigned authority and the certificate will be issued as applicable.
- In marriage registration, the applicants will have to show the proof of wedding that has been solemnized somewhere else and now the groom and bride want to register it legally.
- All of whom involved in registration must carry originals of ID proof and address proof at the time of registration.
- In some states applicant shall approach over the counter services like CSC centres/e-seva etc to apply.
- In some states applicant shall apply using the respective state department online portal.
- Find the contact details and application form from the respective state portal procedures by using the link provided under respective states below.
Please select the state name for respective State Procedure.
Andaman and Nicobar – Andhra Pradesh – Arunachal Pradesh – Assam – Bihar – Chandigarh – Chhattisgarh – Daman and Diu – Goa - Gujarat – Haryana – Himachal Pradesh – Jammu and Kashmir – Jharkhand – Karnataka – Kerala – Lakshadweep – Madhya Pradesh – Maharashtra – Manipur – Meghalaya – Mizoram – Nagaland – New Delhi – Odisha – Puducherry – Punjab – Rajasthan – Sikkim – Tamil Nadu – Telangana – Tripura – Uttar Pradesh – Uttarakhand – West Bengal
- Application form completely filled and signed by both husband and wife. Link for form :Application Form Link please hit the “download” option for “Marriage certificate Application Form” to get form.
- Address proof of current residing address which should be on Bride or Grooms name (Proof of Address- Voter ID/ *Ration Card/ Passport, Driving License ).
- 2 passport sized photographs.
- Identity proof
- 2 Photos of Bride and Groom in marriage dress taken during marriage ritual to clearly show they are taking part in marriage ceremony.
- Separate Marriage Affidavits in prescribed format from Husband & Wife.
- Proof of Date of Birth of both husband and wife (Documents which serve as Proof of Age preferably 10th class mark sheet with date of birth).
- Aadhaar Card
- Marriage Invitation Card
- Three witnesses to certify your marriage.
- 2 affidavit that couple wish to marry each other willingly free from threats is required for marriage at later stage.
- Divorce Decree in case of Divorce
- Death Certificate of spouse, in case of widow/widower
- Note: All the above mentioned documents should be attested by a Gazetted Officer
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Law and Justice
Room No. 436, A Wing,
4th Floor,ShastriBhawan, New Delhi.
For contact details :link
- Eligibility age to get married is 21 for male and 18 for female.
- Marriages solemnized under any personal law can be registered.
- A marriage which has already been solemnized can be registered either under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
- The Hindu Marriage Act is applicable in cases where both the husband and the wife are Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs, or in cases where they have converted into any of these religions.
- In case either the husband or the wife or both are not Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs, the marriage is registered under the Special Marriage Act, 1954
- The charge will vary, if registered after two months (or specified period of time) of marriage date.
- Note: You cannot apply for marriage certificate if you have not attained the age limit as this will be treated as offence.
- Authorities will provide fee details when you approach for the process.
Marriage certificate shall be valid forever.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
The entire process will take 45 Days from the date of application
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- A marriage certificate is the official record that two people have undertaken a marriage ceremony. *To obtain the marriage certificate first you need register your marriage.
- Marriage certificate indicates that the couple is legally married.
- In India, a legal marriage is between males older than 21 years of age and females older than 18 years of age.
- In India, marriage can be registered in accordance to the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or Special Marriage Act, 1954.
- Name and address of bridegroom and bride,
- Signature of bride and bridegroom,
- Signature of 3 attesting witness present at the time of marriage along with their name and address,
- Joint photo of bride and bridegroom with signature over such photo
Need for the Document
- Marriage registration is an important legal formality under Law and can be easily completed at the respective registrar Office.
- A marriage which has already been solemnized can be registered.
- Having a marriage registration certificate will help the couple with various formalities like PAN card name change, passport and visa application. The registration of marriages is controlled by the respective State Governments.
- The Hindu Marriage Act 1955 is applicable in cases where both the husband and the wife are Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs, or in cases where they have converted into any of these religions.
- In case either the husband or the wife or both are not Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs, the marriage is registered under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
Information which might help
- Marriages can be registered either under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
- It is advisable to mention the name of the wife (bride) before and after marriage in the form. Before marriage, the surname usually belongs to father family. And after marriage, the surname of the husband family is adopted. So it is advisable, to mention two names.
- NOTE : It is a punishable offense to try with fraudulent documents to get a Marriage certificate
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people.