India - Apply for National Savings Certificate(NSC)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
An Indian resident can buy “National Savings Certificate (NSC)” from any post office. This is a tax saving investment.
- National Savings Certificate (NSC) shall be bought from any Indian post office.
- Please go to the respective post office. Link for Post office contact details. : contact link
- Obtain respective application form as per your requirement Or use the following link and obtain the appropriate form. Link: form link
- Submit the completed form along with required documents to the authority in the post office.
- The submitted details will be verified. Please provide the originals of the submitted copy of documents for cross verification.
- Once all are in place, make the payment for the amount to be invested as appropriate.
- Please collect the certificate for the applicable amount.
- Note: Applicant shall obtain NSC in applicable denominations.
- Completely filled out NSC Application form
- Recent Photograph
- Identity proof – Aadhaar card, PAN, etc.
- Address proof – Aadhaar card, Voter ID, etc.
- Cash/cheque deposit of the amount to be invested
Office Locations & Contacts
DakBhavan, New Delhi - 110001
Telephone No: 23096060
Link for contact information:link
- All Indian residentare eligible to invest in NSCs.
- Non-resident Indians cannot purchase new NSCs.
- If an Indian resident NSC holder becomes NRI prior to maturity of certificates, such NSC’s can be held till maturity.
- Karta of HUFs can make NSC investments only in their own name.
- Trusts and Hindu Undivided Family (HUFs) cannot make NSC investments.
There is a commission charged against the investment based on tenure. (05% for 5 year NSC)
The validity is for the tenure the NSC is bought for. (5 Years/10 years)
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people eg. links.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide other instructions related to the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
- Applicant details.
- Date of Birth and age.
- Address details.
- Signature/thumb impression.
Need for the Document
- To save tax amount Indian resident can make investment.
- For fixed and guaranteed returns.
- Regular income
Information which might help
- Choose from 2 maturity periods– 5 years/ 10 years
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- Deposits are exempt from Wealth tax.
- Loans can be availed from banks on pledge of NSCs.
- NSCs are available in denominations of Rs.100, Rs.500, Rs.1000, Rs.5,000 and Rs.10,000
- NSCs can be purchased in Demat Form from select Post Offices.
- If a certificate is lost, stolen, destroyed, mutilated or defaced, application may be made showing particulars of the certificate with circumstances attending such loss, theft, destruction, mutilation or defacement for
issue of duplicate certificate to the Post Office where the Certificate is registered. If the Officer-In-Charge is satisfied, he shall issue a duplicate Certificate on the applicant furnishing an indemnity bond in the prescribed form with sureties or with a bank's guarantee..
Follow the link for complete guide on NSC
More information which might help people.