Hong Kong - Renew Driving Instructor License
This information page provides guidelines and information on renewal of driving instructor's license and is targeted for those who have already held a driving instructor's license. The Transport Department will announce details when applications for new driving instructor's licenses are invited.
- Holding a valid full driving license for the vehicle class(es) in the authorized group(s) of the driving instructor's license
- Have not been convicted of an offense under Section 36 (Causing death by dangerous driving) or Section 39 (Driving a motor vehicle under the influence of drink or drugs) of the Road Traffic Ordinance (Cap. 374) since the driving instructor's license was issued
Ads by Google
How to obtain application forms
- Application forms for driving instructor's license are available at all Licensing Offices of the Transport Department, various District Offices' public enquiry service centres as well as post offices. Application forms can also be obtained by facsimile through the Transport Department's customer service hotline 2804 2600 or downloaded from the Transport Department's website.
Submission of applications
- In person / By agent
Applications for driving instructor's license may be submitted in person or through agent. Your agent should produce photocopy of your identity document for authentication and is also required to produce his identity document.
- By post
Applications may be submitted by post to the Kwun Tong Licensing Office at P.O. Box 68115, Kowloon East Post Office, Kowloon. If your application is in order, the new driving instructor's license will be sent to you by registered post within 10 working days. Enquiries may be made to the Kwun Tong Licensing Office at 2349 0200.
The relevant application forms should be duly completed, signed and forwarded together with the appropriate fee and relevant supporting documents. Please do not send cash by post. Crossed cheque/cashier order should be made payable to either "The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region" or "The Government of the HKSAR". Please write down your name, identity document number and daytime contact telephone number on the back of the cheque/cashier order. Photocopies of Hong Kong Identity Card (or other alternative identity document) are acceptable.
- By drop-box
Applications may also be submitted through the drop-boxes located in the Licensing Offices or specified post offices in 18 districts of Hong Kong (PDF 517 KB) (no postage is needed). Similar to the postal applications, the relevant application forms should be duly completed, signed and forwarded together with the appropriate fee and relevant supporting documents. Payment should be made by crossed cheque/cashier order and should be made payable to either "The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region" or "The Government of the HKSAR". Please write down your name, identity document number and daytime contact telephone number on the back of the cheque/cashier order. Photocopies of Hong Kong Identity Card (or other alternative identity document) are acceptable.
If your application is in order, the new driving instructor's license will be sent to you by registered post within 10 working days.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Complete an application form TD557.
- Submit it to any Licensing Office.
- Produce the original or copy of proof of present address (residential address and correspondence address) which is issued not more than 3 months from now (e.g. water/electricity/gas/mobile phone bill or bank correspondence.)
Application Form TD557: http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/common/tdforms/td557%282013.03%29.pdf
Ads by Google
- Hong Kong Identity Card or an alternative identity document e.g. passport
- Payment for driving instructor's license
Driving Instructor's License - HK$760
Duplicate Driving Instructor's License - HK$110
- For a list of fees, follow this link: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/fees_and_charges/index.html
- A driving instructor's license is valid for one year and may be renewed at any time during the 4 months before expiry. However, licenses which have expired for a period exceeding 3 years are not renewable.
- License renewed within 15 days after the date of its expiry is to become effective from the date of expiry.
- License renewed after 15 days of its expiry is to be effective from the date of renewal.
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
- Hong Kong Licensing Office, 3/F, United Centre, 95 Queensway, Hong Kong. (near Exit D of Admiralty MTR Station) Location Map Link to GeoInfo Map
- Kowloon Licensing Office, 2/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon. (near Exit C of Sham Shui Po MTR Station) Location Map Link to GeoInfo Map
- Kwun Tong Licensing Office, 5/F, Kowloon East Government Office, 12 Lei Yue Mun Road, Kowloon. (near Exit D4 of Kwun Tong MTR Station) Location Map Link to GeoInfo Map
- Sha Tin Licensing Office, 2/F, Sha Tin Government Offices, 1 Sheung Wo Che Road, Sha Tin, New Territories. (near Exit B of Sha Tin MTR Station) Location Map Link to GeoInfo Map
The service hours of the four Licensing Offices are as follows:
- Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (open during lunch hours)
- The Offices will be closed on Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays.
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- If a change occurs in the name, address or identity document of a driving licence holder/registered owner previously provided by the driving licence holder/registered owner to the Commissioner for Transport, the driving licence holder/registered owner shall, within 72 hours of the change, notify the Commissioner for Transport in writing or by submitting the completed Transport Department Form (TD559) with the proof of change. Any person who without reasonable excuse contravenes such requirement commits an offence and is liable to a fine of $2,000. For cases of change of name or change of identity document, the driving licence holder/registered owner shall also deliver to the Commissioner for Transport the existing original driving licence (if applicable), original driving instructor's licence (if applicable), original vehicle registration document (if applicable), vehicle licence (if applicable) and Certification of Allocation of Personalized Registration Mark (if applicable) for amendment;
- The Commissioner for Transport may, in processing licensing application, require the applicant to produce proof of his/her present address (residential and correspondence address, e.g. water/electricity/gas/mobile phone bill or bank correspondence), and may suspend the processing of the application until the production of such proof. Applicants please bring along your proof of present address (issued not more than 3 months from now) for presentation as and when requested by officers of licensing offices; and
- For any change of address notified under any Transport Deparment application form, all vehicle/driving licence records of the applicant under the same identity document held by this Department will also be changed.
- From 19 May 2007, driving licence holders who apply for renewal of full driving licences, probationary driving licences or driving instructors' licences are not required to produce their existing licences. Also, those who apply for driving instructors' licences or international driving permits do not need to produce their full driving licenses.
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
How To Apply for a Driving Instructor's License (Renewal): http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/licences_and_permits/vehicle_and_driving_licences/how_to_apply_for_a_driving_instructors_licence/index.html
Transport Department Fees and Charges: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/fees_and_charges/index.html
Driving License Forms: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_forms/td_forms/driving_licence/index.html
Office Locations: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/licences_and_permits/vehicle_and_driving_licences/licensing_offices/index.html
More information which might help people.