Hong Kong - Register as a Voter
An electoral roll is a list of all those registered to vote, in a particular place.
Only those who have registered as an elector/voter can exercise their right to vote in the Legislative Council and District Council elections.
Following are procedures on how you can register as a voter in Hong Kong.
You are eligible to register as a voter in a geographical constituency if:
- you are a permanent resident of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region as defined by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Passports Ordinance (Cap. 539)
- you ordinarily reside in Hong Kong
- you have reached 18 years of age or will reach 18 years of age on or before 25 September (for District Council Election year) OR 25 July (for Non District Council Election year)
- you hold a valid identity document, example: a Hong Kong permanent identity card
- you are not subject to any disqualification or forbidden by law to register
Generally, persons who are disqualified from registration are those:
- who are found under the Mental Health Ordinance (Cap. 136) to be incapable, by reason of mental incapacity, of managing and administering their property and affairs
- who are members of any armed forces
Ads by Google
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Register as a geographical constituency elector
- To register as a functional constituency elector and an Election Committee subsector voter, link
Fill out an application form
Obtain the form by:
- Downloading it online
- You may also obtain the form by fax (call the hotline 2891 1001)
- From District Offices, management offices of public housing estates and the Registration and Electoral Office.
For those who have signed up as an elector before, you are not required to register again. You may call the Registration and Electoral Office ("REO") hotline at 2891 1001 to check whether your records on the register are correct or not.
For voters with inaccurate registration particulars, their eligibility to vote may be affected. Please report to the REO any change in your address or other registration particulars, so that the REO can update your records.
A provisional register of electors will be published for public inspection, check the list to see if your personal particulars are correctly recorded in the register of electors or not. Members of the public may raise objections, make claims or request for corrections regarding any entry on the register by filling out a specified form.
Ads by Google
- Completed application form
- You may be asked to present your identification during the application process.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Addresses of Registration and Electoral Office:
10/F Harbour Centre
25 Harbour Road
10/F Guardian House
32 Oi Kwan Road
Fax: 2891 1180
Registration and Electoral Office
10th Floor, Harbour Centre
25 Harbour Road, Wan Chai
Phone : (852) 2891 1001
Fax : (852) 2891 1180
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Voter Registration Hong Kong:
More information which might help people.