Hong Kong - Obtain a Pet Passport (Import Export or Transport Pet)
This procedure provides you information on how you can bring your pet dogs and cats to Hong Kong and how can you apply for a Pet Passport or Special Permit for your pets.
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Ads by Google
Before your arrival in Hong Kong, you have to apply for a Special Permit and pay the specified fee in order to bring your pet to the country.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Importation of pets:
- Have your pet examined by a veterinarian: You will need to have your pet examined by a certified veterinarian. Some of the documents that you will need to present when your pet arrives in Hong Kong will be issued by your vet. Your vet will also be the one who will issue the pet passport.
- If you are outside Hong Kong : You may use the link provided under "Office Locations & Contacts" to get in touch with the nearest Chinese embassy in the country you are currently staying. The office may be able to provide you with information about pet passports and special permits for pets.
- Before you make arrangements to transport your pet: Make sure that you have all the required documents, and got in touch with the authority responsible with the import/export of live animals in the country where your pet will be coming from and in Hong Kong. If you are thinking of flying in with your pet, you may also try and contact the airline company, they may be able to provide additional information about pet passports and how you can bring your pet abroad.
- Special Permit for your pet:
- You should submit the application in a prescribed form (Form No. AF240) (PDF format). Facsimile copies are available from the interactive telephone: (852) 2708 8885. The form can also be obtained by dialing (852) 1823.
- If the animals are imported for trading purpose, you must obtain an Animal Trader License in advance.
- You will be required to show your Hong Kong Identity Card or passport when submitting the application. For postal application, applicants have to submit the application form, cheque together with a photocopy of Hong Kong Identity Card or passport. Please note that the submitted documents will not be returned.
Ads by Google
Special Permit for pets:
- Completed application
- Hong Kong Identity Card or passport when submitting the application. For postal application, applicants have to submit the application form, cheque together with a photocopy of Hong Kong Identity Card or passport.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Special Permit: Valid for 6 months and for one consignment only. Animals must be imported on or before the expiry date of the permit.
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department
5/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices
303 Cheung Sha Wan Road
Fax : (852) 2311 3731
Email : email@example.com
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Public Health (Animals and Birds) Ordinance Cap. 139, and the Rabies Ordinance Cap. 421 are enforced by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department through regulating the import of animals and birds for the prevention and introduction of animal diseases including rabies into Hong Kong.
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.