Hong Kong - Guidance to Apply for Student Loan
ALL applications for Government financial assistance schemes are vetted by the Student Finance Office (SFO) under the Working Family and Student Financial Assistance Agency (WFSFAA), HKSAR Government, and all the financial assistance provided is from public fund.
- Are a registered full-time student, aged 30 or below (i.e. born on or after 1 September 1984);
- Are engaged in full-time locally-accredited self-financing post-secondary education programmes at sub-degree (i.e. associate degree or higher diploma) or degree level;
- Have not accepted financial assistance under any other publicly-funded student finance assistance scheme [e.g. the Continuing Education Fund (CEF)] for the programme/course covered by the application in the same academic year; and
- Have the right of abode in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (Hong Kong) or have resided or have had your home in Hong Kong continuously for three complete years immediately prior to the commencement of the course. This does not cover students staying in Hong Kong holding student visas.
Ads by Google
Please make sure that your application form is submitted, with all information completed together with the required supporting documents and information, on or before the deadline so that your application could be processed promptly.
The Student Finance Office (the Office) will accord priority to those applications with complete information upon submission.
In addition, should the Office request supplementary information to help process your application, please adhere to the deadline set.
Otherwise, the processing time of your application and disbursement schedule of financial assistance may be delayed.
- Full name in English
- Full name in Chinese
- HKID card no
- Residential address in English
- Residential telephone no.
- Other contact telephone no.
- Correspondence address in English
- Institution (where the loan(s) was offered)
- Date of graduation/leaving the institution (month/year)
- Course of study
- Qualification obtained
- Signature of applicant
Applying for the Government's Student Loan Scheme
The completed application form together with photocopies of supporting documents (e.g. copies of income proof and bank accounts showing all transactions in previous financial year, etc.) should be returned by the deadline through your institution, which will forward your application and supporting documents to the Office for processing.
Applying for a Student Loan – Banks
- Decide on the amount of Loan required
- Understand which banks provide loan for that particular institute.
- Apply for the student loan
- Submit all the necessary documents
- Get the loan
Ads by Google
- Application forms
- Income proof, such as Employer's return of Remuneration and Pensions Form to Inland Revenue Department (IR56B), Tax Demand Note, pay slips, properly signed Profit and Loss Accounts for business, etc.
- Asset proof, such as all bank passbooks and monthly statements for savings accounts, deposit slips for time deposits, properly signed Balance Sheet for business, etc.
- Receipts for medical expenses, and
- Any other supporting documents as specially requested.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Eligibility of individual student for specific financial assistance scheme is subject to SFO’s consideration. In general, the schemes are applicable to local students (students staying in Hong Kong holding student visas are NOT eligible) in different study modes.
The Student Finance Office (SFO) of the Working Family and Student Financial Assistance Agency (WFSFAA) of the Hong Kong SAR Government provides financial aid schemes to local needy students.
With effect from 1 March 2015, Student Financial Assistance Agency (SFAA) has been renamed as Student Finance Office (SFO) of the Working Family and Student Financial Assistance Agency (WFSFAA). Therefore, all references to “Student Financial Assistance Agency (SFAA)” should be taken to refer to the Student Financial Office.
The Student Finance Office is committed to ensuring that all personal data collected are handled in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (Cap. 486).