Hong Kong - Exchange Foreign Driver License
For overseas driving license holders who wish to drive in Hong Kong, they may do so through one of the following means-
- Apply for a full driving license by direct issue without test;
- Apply for a temporary driving license; or
- Driving on strength of their valid overseas driving license or international driving permit if they are visitors to Hong Kong (visitors mean that they arrive at Hong Kong other than to take up residence for a period not exceeding 12 months).
- Hold an overseas driving license issued by one of the countries or places as listed in Appendix C;
- The overseas driving license must be:
- valid or has not expired for more than 3 years; and
- must be obtained through passing of driving test held in the issuing country or place;
- The driving entitlement(s) applied for must be equivalent to the class(es) which are authorized to drive by the issuing country or place; and
- Satisfy any one of the requirements listed below:
- have resided in the overseas country or place of issue for a period of not less than 6 months during which the license was issued; or
- have held the license for 5 years or more immediately prior to the application; or
- hold a passport or equivalent travel document of the country or place in which the license was issued.
Ads by Google
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Complete an application form TD63A ; and
- Submit it to Hong Kong Licensing Office.
Application Form TD63A: http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/common/tdforms/td63a%282011.10%29e.pdf
Ads by Google
- Hong Kong Identity Card (original and photocopy);
- Relevant travel document (e.g. passport) (original and photocopy);
- Relevant overseas driving license (original and photocopy);
- An officially certified translation of your overseas driving license if it is in a language other than English or Chinese;
- Other relevant supporting documents (original and photocopy);
- Address proof (residential address and correspondence address) issued within the last 3 months (e.g. water/electricity/gas/mobile phone bill or bank correspondence);
- Medical examination report form TD256 duly completed by a registered medical practitioner (applicable to a person aged 70 or above); and
- Required fee (you may make enquiries at the enquiry counters of licensing offices or through 1823 Call Centre, refer to the license fees table (TD341) at the licensing offices, or visit Transport Department's website for information).
For a list of fees, follow this link: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/fees_and_charges/index.html
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
- Hong Kong Licensing Office, 3/F, United Centre, 95 Queensway, Hong Kong. (near Exit D of Admiralty MTR Station) Location Map Link to GeoInfo Map
- Kowloon Licensing Office, 2/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon. (near Exit C of Sham Shui Po MTR Station) Location Map Link to GeoInfo Map
- Kwun Tong Licensing Office, 5/F, Kowloon East Government Office, 12 Lei Yue Mun Road, Kowloon. (near Exit D4 of Kwun Tong MTR Station) Location Map Link to GeoInfo Map
- Sha Tin Licensing Office, 2/F, Sha Tin Government Offices, 1 Sheung Wo Che Road, Sha Tin, New Territories. (near Exit B of Sha Tin MTR Station) Location Map Link to GeoInfo Map
The service hours of the four Licensing Offices are as follows:
- Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (open during lunch hours)
- The Offices will be closed on Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays.
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Driving in Hong Kong for Overseas Driving License Holders:http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/licences_and_permits/vehicle_and_driving_licences/how_to_apply_for_a_driving_licence/driving_in_hong_kong_for_overseas_driving_licence_/index.html
Transport Department Fees and Charges: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/fees_and_charges/index.html
Driving License Forms: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_forms/td_forms/driving_licence/index.html
Office Locations: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/licences_and_permits/vehicle_and_driving_licences/licensing_offices/index.html
More information which might help people.