Hong Kong - Apply for a new passport
The HKSAR passport is valid for travel to all countries in the world.
150 countries or territories have granted visa-free access or visa-on-arrival to HKSAR Passport holders.
You are eligible to apply for a HKSAR Passport if you are:
- a Chinese citizen;
- a permanent resident of the HKSAR; and
- a holder of a valid Hong Kong permanent identity card
Ads by Google
You can obtain the new passport on the next working day after the completion of the application process by the Immigration Department. For applications not submitted in person (e.g. via drop-in-box), an extra 2 to 3 working days may be required for handling formalities.
If you have an urgent need for obtaining a passport, you may approach any one of the immigration offices stating your reasons in writing and producing evidence to support your request.
The passport contains only the personal particulars of the passport holder. You should apply for a separate passport for each of your accompanying children.
If you are aged 18 or above you can submit your application at the Self-service Kiosk at any one of the Immigration Offices that handles travel document applications.
- Applicant name
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Id no
- Parents/guardian id no
You are required to submit your application in person under the following circumstances:
- your previous HKSAR Passport has been damaged or defaced;
- your passport has been lost or is otherwise not available; or
- you need to amend your personal data in the passport
You can send your application by post to:
Travel Documents and Nationality (Application) Section
4th Floor, Immigration Tower
7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai
During office hours you can also put your application (except for replacement of lost or damaged passport) in the drop-in boxes located at any one of the Immigration Offices that handles travel document applications.
You can submit your application online (except for replacement of lost or damaged passport or amendment of personal particulars in passport) if you are:
- eligible for an HKSAR Passport;
- aged 11 or above ;
- able to collect your new passport in person at the selected Immigration Office; for children aged between 11 and 15 and unmarried persons aged 16 or 17, the consenting parent or legal guardian must accompany the child/applicant for collection of passport in person, for appending his/her signature on the application form.
Ads by Google
- Recent photograph in plain white background
- Copy of your existing Hong Kong permanent identity card (PIC) and other supporting documents (if any);
- Application form
- For applicant under the age of 18 years should submit Form ROP 144, duly completed and signed by the parent or legal guardian).
- Consenting parent or legal guardian's Hong Kong identity card or valid travel documents
- Birth certificate
- If you are married, only your marriage certificate is required
For persons aged 16 or above
- 32 pages – HK$370 (or US$48)
- 48 pages – HK$460 (or US$59)
For children aged under 16
- 32 pages – HK$185 (or US$24)
- 48 pages – HK$230 (or US$29.5)
For persons aged 16 or above (valid for 10 years)
For children aged under 16 (valid for 5 years)
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The HKSAR Immigration Department pledges to complete the process of an application in 10 working days after receiving all necessary documents, application fee and photograph and in 14 working days for children aged under 11 not holding a Hong Kong permanent identity card
If you have a valid Hong Kong permanent identity card, the processing time of your overseas passport application will normally take about 4 to 6 weeks upon receipt of all necessary documents, fee and photograph. It will take about 6 to 8 weeks for processing a HKSAR Passport application if you do not have a valid Hong Kong permanent identity card.
Hong Kong Island Travel Documents Issuing Office
2nd Floor, Harbour Building, 38 Pier Road, Central.
Tel: (852) 2852 3047
Hotline: (852) 2824 6111
Fax-line: (852) 2877 7711
Monday -- Friday: 9 am to 4:30 pm
Saturdays: 9 am to 12:30 pm
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
For applications submitted in person, you can pay the necessary application fee in cash, by EPS or by a crossed cheque payable to 'The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region'. For applications submitted through Self-service Kiosk, you must pay the necessary application fee by EPS. For applications submitted by post, please send a crossed cheque. Post-dated cheques will not be accepted.
For online application, you must pay the necessary application fee at the time of application by paying online through PPS or credit card (VISA and MasterCard only).
If you are sending your application by post or depositing it into the drop-in boxes:-
(a) Please send in the application form, photograph and cheque along with photocopy copies of the supporting documents. All photocopy copies submitted should be made on A4 size( 210mm X 297mm ) paper and will not be returned.
(b) The cheque should be crossed, made payable to "The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region", properly dated and signed. Post-dated cheque is not accepted. No cash should be sent along with the application.
- used as a proof of citizenship
- used for identification
More information which might help people.