Germany - Obtain Death Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- To obtain a death certificate from the Federal Republic of Germany, you must contact the competent German agency (i.e. the "Standesamt" or Registrar's Office).
- Your letter should be addressed to the Standesamt of the place (Village, Township, City) where the death was registered. You can find the contact information for the Standesamt by searching online. Use the key words: Standesamt then add the municipality's name.
- The request for the death certificate should be done in writing and contain as much information as possible, including proof of your identity and your legal right to obtain the document.
If you are outside Germany
You may use the link provided under "Office Locations & Contacts" to get in touch with the nearest German Embassy in the country you are currently staying. The Embassy's consular section will be able to process your request to obtain a death certificate.
- Completed request to obtain a death certificate
- Proof of your identity and your legal right to obtain the document.
Office Locations & Contacts
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Records of death are normally kept by the Standesamt (the municipality offices) where the event occurred.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
This procedure provides you information on how to obtain a death certificate.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.