Germany - Obtain Birth Certificate
This procedure provides you information on how to obtain a birth certificate.
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Ads by Google
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
- Applicant's name and address (first name/middle name/last name)
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Father's name, place and date of birth
- Maiden name of mother, place and date of birth
- To obtain a birth certificate from the Federal Republic of Germany, you must contact the competent German agency (i.e. the "Standesamt" or Registrar's Office).
- Your letter should be addressed to the Standesamt of the place (Village, Township, City) where you were born. You can find the contact information for your Standesamt by searching online. Use the key words: Standesamt then add the place where you were born.
- The request for the birth certificate should be done in writing and contain as much information as possible, including proof of your identity and your legal right to obtain the document.
Obtaining birth certificates from former eastern German territories
To obtain a German birth certificate from the former eastern territories of the German Reich and Prussia, you will need to contact the registrar's office "Standesamt 1" in Berlin (see address below).
If the relevant register is available at the Standesamt, a birth certificate will be issued. Otherwise (eg if registers have been destroyed during the war), you will receive written confirmation that the Standesamt is not in a position to issue a birth certificate in your case. When inquiring, you will need to include a postal address, as birth certificates can not be sent via e-Mail.
If you are outside Germany
You may use the link provided under "Office Locations & Contacts" to get in touch with the nearest German Embassy in the country you are currently staying. The Embassy's consular section will be able to process your request to obtain a birth certificate.
Note: You may request for the international version of the birth certificate. This version is already translated into several languages, including English and French, and will save you the expense of a translation.
Ads by Google
- Completed request to obtain a birth certificate
- Valid identification
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
13357 Berlin (Mitte)
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
A copy of the original birth certificate is often needed to be presented in the following:
- marriage application;
- divorce proceedings;
- emigration procedures (for enrollment in the new country);
- applying for student grants
More information which might help people.