Finland - Upgrade your Driver License Category
If a license holder wishes to take a driving test for an upgraded driving license category, he or she must apply for a driving license permit.
Any driver's license holder in Finland.
Ads by Google
- Driving licenses that are issued before 19 January 2013 will remain valid until the license holder turns 70, however no longer than until 2033. If the holder of a driving license of this type wishes to be qualified for other driving license categories, the new driving license will be issued for a fixed term.
- When upgrading a driver license for a motorcycle to a higher category A, the applicant must take additional instruction in order to upgrade his or her driving license for a motorbike from category A1 to A2, or from category A2 to A.
- The applicant must have a minimum of two years of driving experience in the lower category. After taking additional instruction, the driver must apply to the police for a driving license permit.
- A driving license for a motorcycle may also be upgraded to a higher category A by taking a driving test, if the applicant does not yet have the required driving experience of two years in the lower category. For this, the minimum age limit required for the relevant category must observed.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Go to a police service point that handles driving license permit issues.
- Complete the application form.
- Prove your identity and submit the required documents as stated below. A certificate of additional instruction must be attached to the application.
- Pay the application fee.
A driver license is delivered to the holder by posting it to their home address entered in the Population Information System. If the holder doesn't have a Finnish home address or cannot be posted for some other reason, the driving license permit will be delivered to the police department that granted it.
For more information on driving licenses and driving tests for mopeds and light quadricycles, contact your local police or the Finnish Transport Safety Agency Trafi.
Trafi’s driving license helpline: +358 29 534 5113
Ads by Google
- proof of identity
- certificate of additional instruction
Issuing a driving license permit: short-term driving license followed by the permanent driving license - 60 €
Issuing a driving license permit: new short-term driving license - 58 €
Issuing a driving license permit in other cases - 51 €
- Driving licenses for cars and motorcycles will as a rule be issued for 15 years, and driving licenses for lorries and buses for 5 years at a time.
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
To find a local police station to your area, click on the link below:
Police Contact Information: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/www/contactus
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Upgrading the driving license category: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/pages/5A9FE95D86DEEA57C2257B72003A44C2?opendocument
Prices for Police Services: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/pages/1C6E6CB545F4B16BC2257B0C0031E6F3?opendocument
More information which might help people.