Finland - Renew your Driver License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Go to a police department to renew your license.
- Complete the application form.
- Prove your identity and submit the required documents as stated below.
- Pay the application fee.
A driver license is delivered to the holder by posting it to their home address entered in the Population Information System. If the holder doesn't have a Finnish home address or cannot be posted for some other reason, the driving license permit will be delivered to the police department that granted it.
For more information on driving licenses and driving tests for mopeds and light quadricycles, contact your local police or the Finnish Transport Safety Agency Trafi.
Trafis driving license helpline: +358 29 534 5113
- 2 photos (if the applicant has handed in photographs for a driving license since 1 January 2010, new photographs will not be necessary as a rule)
- a medical certificate or a comprehensive medical report for a driving license (no more than six months old) (if needed)
- your previous driving license
Office Locations & Contacts
To find a local police station to your area, click on the link below:
Police Contact Information: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/www/contactus
A holder of Finnish driver's license.
Driving license duplicate and other driving licenses - 42
- Driving licenses for cars and motorcycles will as a rule be issued for 15 years, and driving licenses for lorries and buses for 5 years at a time.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You don't have to take a driving test again to renew your license. However, you must take a repeat driving test if more than two years have passed since your previous Group 1 driving license expired, or more than one year has passed since your Group 2 driving license expired.
- When applying for the renewal of a driving license, you should attach to the application a medical certificate or a comprehensive medical report.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
If your driving license is about to expire, you must submit an application to have your driving license renewed to the police. If you apply for a renewal six months before the driving license to be renewed expires, the period of validity of your new license will start from the expiry date of the old license.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Renewing a driving license: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/pages/370DDAB2FBB18C37C2256C37002CD440?opendocument
Prices for Police Services: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/pages/1C6E6CB545F4B16BC2257B0C0031E6F3?opendocument
More information which might help people.