Finland - Customized / Special Vehicle Registration Plate
This procedure provides you information on how you can apply for special registration plates for your vehicle, with the personalised number of your choice with Trafi.
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Ads by Google
Special registration plates may not contain expressions that are deemed offensive or that pose a threat to the maintenance of public order. Other restrictions concerning special registration plates include:
- Special registration plates for passenger cars can have two to three letters and a number up to three digits long.
- Special registration plates for motor cycles and mopeds can have either two or three letters and a number up to three digits long, or vice versa.
- Special registration plates for trailers always begin with a P, W or D.
- The letter combination CD is reserved for diplomatic vehicles only.
- Zero cannot be the first or only digit in the plate’s number sequence.
- The use of the letters W, Q, Å, Ä and Ö is subject to restrictions for vehicles other than passenger cars.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Apply for special plate:
- To apply for the procedure, you will need to fill in an electronic application form - Link
- Send the completed form to Trafi in electronic format.
- If you are unable to fill in the electronic application form, you can obtain an alternative form from Trafi by calling service number +358 29 534 5110. Email your application to kilvet (at) trafi.fi, or fax it to +358 29 534 5606, or mail it to the address shown on the form.
- Make sure to provide detailed information about the vehicle to which the registration plates will be attached. If necessary, you can provide additional information for your application by calling +358 29 534 5110 or by sending e-mail to kilvet (at) trafi.fi. A pending application will be valid for three months. Once the information on the application is complete, a decision on the special registration plates will be made. The registration plates may be ordered once the decision has been made.
- Collecting your special registration plate decision:
- If you are applying for special registration plate applications using the electronic form, you can indicate whether you would like the decision in electronic form or on paper.
- To have a special registration plate decision in electronic format, you need an e-mail address and a personal e-banking ID. You will receive a link by e-mail. Click on the link to pay for the decision with your e-banking ID, and collect the electronic decision from the form service.
- If you want to receive the decision on paper, it will be sent to you by post (cash on delivery). The fee for a special registration plate decision is EUR 900.
- Registration of special plates:
- Register and collect your plates at the inspection site indicated in your application. You will need to present your special plate decision for this.
- The inspection site will charge a fee for the registration of the plates.
- The vehicle must be registered for the special plates within three months of the date of the decision.
- Decisions concerning special registration plates are vehicle-specific. If you would like to install existing plates on another vehicle, you must apply for a new special registration plate decision.
Ads by Google
List down the documents required for successfully completing the procedure. e.g. 1. Proof of child birth from the Hospital.
Special registration plate decision: EUR 900
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Finnish Transport Safety Agency
P.O.Box 320, Fi-00101 Helsinki, Finland
telephone + 358 29 534 5000
Registration plate information desk
Phone: +358 29 534 5110
(local network charge/mobile call charge)
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Special registration plates with a black background can be issued for
- veteran vehicles or vehicles that have already had such plates, or
- vehicles imported from abroad that have been commissioned prior to 1972.
More information which might help people.