Finland - Cancel a Passport
A passport can be cancelled in several circumstances. It is cancelled by the police department or other authority having granted it.
Cancellation for a passport can be done in any of these events:
- the passport holder loses or is released from his or her Finnish citizenship
- cancellation is requested by the passport holder
- the passport holder reports the passport as lost or stolen
- the guardian (or the Social Welfare Board) cancels consent to issuing a passport to a minor
- the Social Welfare Board demands the cancellation of the passport of a minor who has been taken into care or
- the passport must be destroyed under the Lost Property Act
- there is an obvious error in the passport
- the passport has been defaced, its data has been altered or it has other markings than those made by an authority
- after the passport has been granted, issues have emerged which would probably result in a rejection when issuing a passport
- the passport is being used by a person other than the one to whom it was issued
- the Population Registration Centre has cancelled the electronic certificate or
- there is reasonable cause to suspect that the passport holder has died in a natural disaster, other catastrophe or as a victim of crime.
Ads by Google
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- To cancel your passport, go to a service point of a local police at any locality.
- Report the case and state the reason for your request of cancellation.
- Surrender or return your passport to the police station.
The law only makes it possible to return a passport to the holder after it has been cancelled in the event that it has notations made by a foreign authority that are necessary for the holder (such as a visa). The importance of such notation by an authority will be assessed in each case. Such as stamps made in a passport on arrival in or exit from a state would not, however, be considered as important notations by an authority.
Ads by Google
- passport or identity card (for proof of identity)
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
A passport is valid for 5 years.
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
To find a local police station to your area, click on the link below:
Police Contact Information: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/www/contactus
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
A person may only have one valid passport at a time. If the police or other authority issuing passports makes a new decision on issuing a passport, the previous decision will expire.
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.