Finland - Apply for Residence Permit
A resident permit is a document that authorizes a foreign national to repeatedly enter the county and live in it for purposes other than tourism or similar short-term stays.
It may either be a fixed-term or a permanent one.
A fixed-term permit is issued for either a temporary stay (temporary residence permit, status B) or a continuous stay (continuous residence permit, status A) in the country. It depends on the purpose of the stay. The permit authority will determine the purpose of the stay based on information provided by the foreign national.
Foreign nationals who want to stay in Finland.
Ads by Google
- The application for residence permit must be submitted abroad before entering the country.
- The first fixed-term residence permit is issued by the Finnish Immigration Service, and subsequently a new fixed-term residence permit (extended permit) can be issued by the police.
- Different rules apply for the reasons of applying of a residence permit:
Studying in Finland
- You must apply for a residence permit if you want to study in Finland for longer than 3 months.
- You can submit your application online.
- If you are a citizen of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland you will not require a residence permit for Finland.
Working in Finland
- If you intend to work in Finland, you usually need a residence permit based on employment, granted by the state of Finland.
- If you intend to employ yourself in Finland, you need a residence permit for a self-employed person, granted by the state of Finland.
- If you have completed a degree or qualification in Finland and you have a job, you must apply for a residence permit on the basis that you have a degree from Finland.
Remigration and Moving to Finland to be with a Finnish family member
- Persons who have Finnish ancestry or otherwise a close connection with Finland can obtain a residence permit in Finland on certain conditions. No other reason, such as employment or study, is required to obtain the permit.
Coming to Finland on other Special Grounds
- You may also apply for a residence permit on other special grounds. Other special grounds may be, for example, a stable intimate relationship and the intention to marry or that you have become a victim of human trafficking. However, traveling is not accepted as special grounds.
- To obtain a residence permit, you must be able to make your own living in Finland.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Go to this link, E-Service for Foreigners Permits: https://e-asiointi.migri.fi/eServices/FrontPage.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2feServices&lang=en.
- Visit the police department to confirm your identity and present the required documents.
- Pay the fee.
Applying in Person:
- Go to a police department in your country to apply for your resident permit personally.
- Complete the application form for a residence permit.
- Confirm your identity and present the original documents or attachments required for the application.
- Pay the fee.
Ads by Google
- proof of identity
- original documents or attachments required (example: certificate of the employment granted by the state of Finland)
Residence permit - 156 €
Students, minors - 116 €
Renewal of the residence permit card - 76 €
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
To find a local police station to your area, click on the link below:
Police Contact Information: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/www/contactus
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
The Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) is an agency operating under the Ministry of the Interior which processes and makes decisions in issues associated with entry and residence, refugees and Finnish citizenship.
For more information about the Finnish Immigration Service, visit http://www.migri.fi
Other authorities involved in residence permit decisions:
- The Ministry for Foreign Affairs/Finnish foreign missions accept residence permit applications abroad and issue visas. http://www.formin.finland.fi
- The Employment and Economic Development Offices issue partial decisions associated with residence permits for employment and preliminary decisions on preconditions for issuing residence permits for employment.
- The Centres for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment issue decisions on residence permits for self-employment.
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Residence permits: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/pages/0573FD228E925D83C22578010042FF4C?opendocument
Prices for Police Services: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/pages/1C6E6CB545F4B16BC2257B0C0031E6F3?opendocument
The Finnish Immigration Service: http://www.migri.fi/residence_permits#
More information which might help people.