Finland - Apply for Passport
A passport is a document issued by a national government that certifies the identity and nationality of its holder for the purpose of international travel.
Ads by Google
- If you wish to apply for a passport can do an appointment beforehand to avoid queuing. You can either log on to the police website at www.poliisi.fi/luvat/ ajanvaraus or you can also contact the police department by telephone for an appointment.
- When submitting your application, it is recommended to ask the police to send the finished passport to your home address as a registered letter. The postage of a registered letter will be added to the fee you pay for your passport.
- Passport applications must be submitted in person.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Go to a service point of local police at any locality to submit your application.
- Complete an application form. Form DS-11: Application for a Passport: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DS-11.pdf
- Prove your identity by showing proof of identity documents.
- Have your fingerprints taken and pay the fee.
Ads by Google
- valid passport or identity card
- 1 photograph
Finland has introduced new guidelines for passport photos. The aim of these requirements is to standardize passport photos and improve the verification of passport holders’ identities. To check for the guidelines, click on this link: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/files/Passikuvaohje_07-02-2007_EN/$file/Passikuvaohje_07-02-2007_EN.pdf.
Passport - 52 €
Fast-track passport - 64 €
Express passport - 83 €
Rejection decision - 49 €
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Form DS-11: Application for a Passport:
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- The processing time of a passport is about one week.
- The processing time of a fast-track passport is 2-3 working days. It can be submitted and the finished passport may be collected from any police service point providing license services.
- The delivery time of an express passport is 1 working day. An express passport will be ready on the same day, if the application is submitted before 11 a.m. Otherwise the passport can be collected on the following working day.
A finished express passport can only be collected from Pasila license services point of Helsinki Police Department: Pasilanraitio 11, 00240 Helsinki or from the National Traffic Police service point at Helsinki-Vantaa Airport.
To find a local police station to your area, click on the link below:
Police Contact Information: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/www/contactus
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
For Finnish citizens abroad, they can submit their passport applications to the passport services of a Finnish mission. They can also submit their applications to a police department in Finland.
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Applying for a passport: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/pages/6B2C6A31B6EBCF53C225780D003F7427?opendocument
Prices for Police Services: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/www/serviceprice
More information which might help people.