Finland - Apply for Driver License Permit
A driver license permit entitles the holder to drive a motor vehicle. It is issued by the police.
A Finnish citizen who is at least 16 years of age.
Ads by Google
- The application for a driver license can be submitted at any police service point that handles driving license permit issues, regardless of the applicant's municipality of residence.
- The fee is payable upon application.
- A driving license is not an official travel document.
- A driving license is not an official proof of identity.
- Appointments to submit a driving license permit application can be made with most police service points using the appointments system. For the appointment system, click here: https://poliisi.ajanvaraus.fi/rms.do?url=poliisi
- social security number
- other personal data
- Go to a police service point that handles driving license permit issues.
- Complete the application form.
- Prove your identity and submit the required documents as stated below.
- Pay the application fee.
A driver license permit is delivered to the holder by posting it to their home address entered in the Population Information System. If the holder doesn't have a Finnish home address or cannot be posted for some other reason, the driving license permit will be delivered to the police department that granted it.
Ads by Google
- 2 photographs (if the applicant has handed in photographs for a driving license since 1 January 2010, new photographs will not be necessary as a rule)
- a young person’s health certificate (no older than five years) or a medical certificate for a driving license (no older than six months)
- when applying for a permit for driving a moped, a light quadricycle, a motorcycle or a tractor, the written consent of the applicant's guardian, if the applicant is less than 18 years old.
- a previous driving license
- a passport or personal identity card as proof of identity, if the applicant cannot produce an earlier driving license
- An applicant aged under 18 years can be identified by a guardian who produces his or her proof of identity
- a driving instruction certificate, if no driving test is required
Issuing a driving license permit: short-term driving license followed by the permanent driving license - 60 €
Issuing a driving license permit: new short-term driving license - 58 €
Issuing a driving license permit in other cases - 51 €
Under the new provisions, the right to drive is valid for a set period, the length of which is 2 - 15 years depending on the driving license category and the age of the license holder.
- Driving licenses for cars and motorcycles will as a rule be issued for 15 years, and driving licenses for lorries and buses for 5 years at a time.
Guardian's Consent form:
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
To find a local police station to your area, click on the link below:
Police Contact Information: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/www/contactus
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Driving license permit: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/pages/9658AA5308A2E87DC2256C370029E843?opendocument
Prices for Police Services: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/pages/1C6E6CB545F4B16BC2257B0C0031E6F3?opendocument
More information which might help people.