Finland - Apply Passport for Minor
Children can no longer travel on a passport of a parent as of June 26, 2012, even if they are included in these old 10-year passports. Children must have their own passports to travel.
A minor can be issued a passport with the consent of his or her guardians in the form of writing unless both guardians are present when applying for the passport.
Ads by Google
- Passport applications must be submitted in person.
- Passport applications (including express applications) may be submitted at the service points of the local police in any locality.
- Abroad, Finnish citizens may submit their passport applications to the passport services of a Finnish mission.
- To avoid queues, make an appointment first by logging on to the police website at www.poliisi.fi/luvat/ ajanvaraus or you can also contact the police department by telephone for an appointment.
- All passport applicants are fingerprinted, including those applying for passports without a microchip but excluding children under the age of 12.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- The child must go personally with his or her guardian at the service points of the local police in any locality.
- He or she must prove his or her identity through a valid passport or identity card. In case that the applicant does not have a valid passport or identity card, he or she must bring any relevant documents stated below. For a minor applicant, a guardian consent form is required.
- Complete an application form.
- Have the child's fingerprints taken except for those under the age of 12.
- Pay the fee.
When a passport is applied for, two (2) fingerprints of the applicant are taken using a fingerprint scanner. As a rule, the prints of both forefingers are taken. In the event that no prints can be obtained of the applicant's forefingers, an effort will in any case be made to obtain two fingerprints of an adequate quality of the fingers that can be fingerprinted.
Ads by Google
- guardian's written consent form(applicants aged under 18)
- identity card
- guardian's passport
- 1 photograph (no more than six months old)
Finland has introduced new guidelines for passport photos. The aim of these requirements is to standardize passport photos and improve the verification of passport holders’ identities. To check for the guidelines, click on this link: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/files/Passikuvaohje_07-02-2007_EN/$file/Passikuvaohje_07-02-2007_EN.pdf.
Passport - 52 €
Fast-track passport - 64 €
Express passport - 83 €
Emergency passport - 80 €
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- The processing time of a passport is about one week.
- The processing time of a fast-track passport is 2-3 working days. It can be submitted and the finished passport may be collected from any police service point providing license services.
- The delivery time of an express passport is 1 working day. An express passport will be ready on the same day, if the application is submitted before 11 a.m. Otherwise the passport can be collected on the following working day.
A finished express passport can only be collected from Pasila license services point of Helsinki Police Department: Pasilanraitio 11, 00240 Helsinki or from the National Traffic Police service point at Helsinki-Vantaa Airport.
To find a local police station to your area, click on the link below:
Police Contact Information: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/www/contactus
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- A passport can only be granted without a guardian's consent in the event that his or her consent cannot be obtained because of travel, illness or a similar reason.
- A passport may also be issued to a minor if a guardian denies his or her consent.
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Issuing a Passport to Minor: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/pages/6CB8EB774DDE0FF1C225780D00396318?opendocument
Prices for Police Services: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/www/serviceprice
More information which might help people.