Finland - Apply Passport Related to Military Service
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Submit your passport application at the service points of the local police in any locality.
- Complete an application form.
- Prove your identity and submit the required documents.
- Have your fingerprints taken.
- Pay the fee.
When a passport is applied for, two (2) fingerprints of the applicant are taken using a fingerprint scanner. As a rule, the prints of both forefingers are taken. In the event that no prints can be obtained of the applicant's forefingers, an effort will in any case be made to obtain two fingerprints of an adequate quality of the fingers that can be fingerprinted.
- 1 photograph (no more than six months old)
- a passport or an identity card(N.B. Not a driving licence)
- For males aged 18-30: a military passport or a non-military service or call-up certificate. (Unless the person liable for military service can prove that his duty to defend the country is not an impediment to issuing a passport, he may be issued a passport that is valid until the end of the year in which he turns 28.)
Finland has introduced new guidelines for passport photos. The aim of these requirements is to standardize passport photos and improve the verification of passport holders identities. To check for the guidelines, click on this link: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/files/Passikuvaohje_07-02-2007_EN/$file/Passikuvaohje_07-02-2007_EN.pdf.
Office Locations & Contacts
To find a local police station to your area, click on the link below:
Police Contact Information: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/www/contactus
A Finnish military is eligible to apply for a passport related to military service.
Passport - 52
Passport for veterans of Finnish wars - 26
Temporary passport - 52
Fast-track passport - 64
Express passport - 83
Emergency passport - 80
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Form DS-11: Application for a Passport:
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- The processing time of a passport is about one week.
- The processing time of a fast-track passport is 2-3 working days. It can be submitted and the finished passport may be collected from any police service point providing license services.
- The delivery time of an express passport is 1 working day. An express passport will be ready on the same day, if the application is submitted before 11 a.m. Otherwise the passport can be collected on the following working day.
A finished express passport can only be collected from Pasila license services point of Helsinki Police Department: Pasilanraitio 11, 00240 Helsinki or from the National Traffic Police service point at Helsinki-Vantaa Airport.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Passport applications must be submitted in person. A valid passport or identity card is needed to prove the applicant's identity.
- It is a good idea to ask the police to send the finished passport to your home address as a registered letter.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
A passport can only be issued to a person liable for military service which is valid until the end of the year in which he turns 28, unless he can prove that his duty to defend the country does not constitute an impediment to issuing a passport.
Information which might help
- The prints of both forefingers are taken. In the event that no prints can be obtained of the applicant's forefingers, an effort will in any case be made to obtain two fingerprints of an adequate quality of the fingers that can be fingerprinted.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Passports for persons liable for military service: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/pages/ADF9B1D5D0366555C225780D003A200D?opendocument
Prices for Police Services: https://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/pages/1C6E6CB545F4B16BC2257B0C0031E6F3?opendocument
More information which might help people.