Ethiopia - Obtain a Gun license
A firearms license (also known as a gun license) is a license or permit issued by some governments (typically by the police) of a country (or state or municipality thereof), that allows the licensee to buy, own, possess, and use firearms, often subject to a number of conditions or restrictions, especially with regards to storage requirements or the completion of a firearms safety course, as well as background checks, etc. The following are the procedures for applying for Gun or Firearms License in Ethiopia.
Applicant must be Eighteen years (18) years or older.
- Clean criminal record
- Doctor's certificate that certifies physical and mental fitness
Ads by Google
- In Ethiopia, the right to private gun ownership is not guaranteed by law.
- In Ethiopia, an understanding of firearm safety and the law, tested in a theoretical and/or practical training course is not required1 for a firearm licence
- In Ethiopia, private possession of handguns (pistols and revolvers) is permitted under license.
- Personal Information
- Occupation/Employment Information
- Particulars of Firearm
- Spousal Information
- Next of Kin
- Particulars of Applicant .
An applicant for a firearm license in Ethiopia must pass a background check which considers undefined records
(1) Make an application to the Commissioner of Police in your State of residence.
(2) The police will issue you with an application form that will require your bio-data.
Some of the pertinent information required are:
- (i) Your full names
- (ii) Address
- (iii) Reasons for applying for the license
- (iv) Date of Birth. Note here that guns are not issued to persons below thirty-five (35) years of age.
(3) Further required to accompany the application form is a medical report that confirms that the applicant’s sanity is normal.
(4) Another medical report is also required on the applicant’s chest. This is to protect the applicant from the sharp retraction that occurs when a gun is fired.
(5) Four (4) clear passport photograph of the applicant is also required.
(6) On obtaining your gun from the nearest gun dealer, prices vary depending on area of purchase; the police should normally register the serial number of the weapon.
(7) Upon a satisfactory appraisal of the application the license is issued in a booklet form, bearing one of the passport photographs of the applicant and carrying the stamp of the state police headquarters.
N.B. Gun licenses are subject to renewal every year for a token fee of five Thousand Birr (Bir5000.00) only.
- In Ethiopia, the law requires that a record of the acquisition, possession and transfer of each privately held firearm be retained in an official register.
- In Ethiopia, State agencies are required on demand, to maintain records of the storage and movement of all firearms and ammunition under their control.
Ads by Google
- 4 Passport sized photographs
- Attested copy of address proof:
- Ration Card,
- Voter Identity Card,
- Water/Telephone Bill,
- Driving Licence, Property (House)
- Tax, Tax Return,
- National identification Card
- Attested copy of date of birth:
- Police clearance Certificate,
- Birth certificate,
- Affidavit sworn before a Magistrate/Notary stating date and place of birth by illiterate or semi-illiterate applicants. .
- Shotgun $150.00
- Rifle $1000.00
valid for for 60 days then after renewal it can be valid for 1- 2 years and a renewal is required every year.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
processing takes between 6 months to one year.
- Ministry of Defense
Telephone: +251 11-4666141
Telephone +251 11 511777
Fax: +251 11-4661469
- Call police Landline 199
- Ethiopian Federal police
P0 B0X 456 Addis Ababa
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.