Ethiopia - Change of Aircraft Ownership
When an aircraft that is registered in Ethiopia is sold, the holder of the certificate of registration shall remove, before its delivery to the purchaser, all nationality and registration marks of Ethiopia, unless the purchaser is a citizen or other legal entity as prescribed in in Regulation of the Ethiopian Civil Aviation Authority Regulations:
Any person intending to take ownership, or to become the charterer of, an aircraft on the Ethiopian Register of Civil Aircraft is advised to check the registered ownership of the aircraft and to conduct a search of the Ethiopian Register of Aircraft Mortgages before completion of the transaction.
An applicant for aircraft registration shall meet in full the eligibility requirements stated in Regulation of the Ethiopian Civil Aviation Authority Regulations:
Ads by Google
- Aircraft Owners are required to complete an Application for Aircraft to Re-register their aircraft with the Ethiopian Civil Aviation Authority,Division Aircraft Registration Unit if the aircraft is based in Ethiopia.
- The Registered owner of the aircraft Should-register for the certificate of registration of the aircraft to the ECAA Authority.
- Aircraft Number
- Serial number
- Year of manufacture
- Aircraft type
- Date aircraft entered Ethiopia
- Date aircraft was purchased
- Where the aircraft is usually based
Once ownership has changed, or a charter has commenced, the new owner or charterer should complete an Application form and return it, together with the appropriate fee, to the ECAA's Aircraft Registration Section.
- A person who becomes the owner of an aircraft registered in Ethiopia shall inform the Authority in writing.
- The Authority may, where it appears necessary or appropriate, or for purposes of updating the register in accordance with Ethiopian Civil Aviation Authority Regulations:, correct or amend the particulars entered on the register.
- For purposes of these rules, reference to the registered owner of the aircraft includes, in the case of a deceased person, his legal representative and in the case of a body corporate which has been dissolved,its successor.
- Please ensure that the application form is completed in full in order not to delay the re-registration of the aircraft.
- The Application form can be completed online, however, as the form needs to be signed by the applicant it cannot be submitted online and must therefore be printed.
- Once printed and signed the form can be scanned and emailed or faxed to the Aircraft Registration Section.
- As long as either credit or debit card details are included on the form there is no need to send a hard copy version of the form as well.
- The new owner has up to 28 days from becoming the owner to apply to re-register the aircraft. Any delay in re-registering the aircraft could result in its removal from the Ethiopian Register which effectively grounds the aircraft.
- Evidence of insurance, or a declaration that the aircraft will not fly until evidence of insurance has been supplied to the ECAA must also be supplied with your application to register.
- Details of the requirements are included on the Application form.
Upon receipt of an application the Authority will re-register the aircraft, or advise the applicant of any other actions that are required, within the time-scales specified in our Service Standards.
The other actions that are required may vary, although generally the Authority requires the current registered owners to confirm in writing that they have transferred the aircraft.
This is usually achieved by the present registered owner completing the relevant section on the reverse of the current Certificate of Registration and returning it to the Aircraft Registration Section or by completing the sale notification form.
- If the aircraft is being purchased from someone other than the registered owner please ensure that you can identify a full chain of ownership from the last registered owner to the person purporting to be the owner of the aircraft.
- The registration marks of the aircraft can also be changed at the time of re-registration
- New owners are reminded that once they become the owner of a Ethiopian Registered aircraft that they are responsible for ensuring that the aircraft is fully maintained and operated in line with the requirements of the Certificate of Airworthiness or Permit to Fly.
Ads by Google
- Names of the directors of the company owning or leasing the aircraft and their specimen signatures giving authority to Re- register and/or *Cancel all operations of the aircraft in Ethiopia and indicating who among them has the mandate to transact on their behalf on matters relating to the aircraft registration and/or operation;
- A certified copy of the lease agreement if the aircraft is on lease with stamp duties paid;
- A certified copy of the power of attorney from the owner/lessor and the lessee, (both of them);
- A certified copy of an aircraft current Insurance Certificate; and
- Proof of payment of the prescribed fees (see Fees Schedule in the Ethiopian CARs).
- a certified copy of Air Transport Licence (ATL), Air Operating Permit (AOP) or Permit For Non-Commercial Flight (PNCF).
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Valid for 5 years.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The process takes 90 working days
- Ethiopian Civil Aviation Authority
- Director General Office
Tel: 251-11 665 0252
Fax: 251 11 665 0269
- Aviation Regulation Directorate
Tel: 251 11 665 0256
- Air Navigation Services Directorate
Tel: 251 11 665 0265
- Air Trafic Services-for over flight permit and landing authorization
Tel: 251 11 665 0271
Fax: 251 11 665 0515
- Support Service Directorate
Tel: 251 11 665 0258 Mobile: 251-91-1500016
- ECAA Aviation Training Center
Tel: 251 11 665 0259
- Communication and Public Relation Service
Tel: 251 11 665 0228
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.