Ethiopia - Apply for a Transit Visa
The transit visa is given to visitors who are only in Ethiopia for en route to an overseas destination or those connecting to a further destinations; The processing time For passengers whose connecting flight is over 8 and up to 24 hours may need a transit Visa. Various flights make connections via Ethiopia and this may necessitate this transit visa. However, citizens from most ECOWAS countries will not require the transit visa when making a connection via Ethiopia.
Any visitor transiting or crossing Ethiopia from border to border along the coast for a period of over 8 and up to 24 hours need a transit visa.
Ads by Google
The passport must be valid for at least six months when you leave Ethiopia.
The passport must contain at least two blank pages.
- To apply for a transit visa, you must show
- Intent to pass in immediate and continuous transit through Ethiopia.
- A common carrier ticket or other evidence of transportation arrangements to your destination.
- Sufficient funds to carry out the purpose of your transit journey.
- Permission to enter another country upon departure from the Ethiopia.
- The purpose of your trip is to enter the Ethiopia solely for transit purposes.
- You do not intend to be paid by any source while in Ethiopia, unless you have been granted proper approval for a temporary work visa.
- You plan to stay for a specific, limited period of time.
You have evidence of funds to cover all expenses while in the Ethiopia.
The first step is to complete the appropriate visa application form. Most countries provide only one visa application for all types of visas even Ethiopia does the same. Others have a specific application for each type.
Some application forms need to be downloaded and printed while others are in electronic format. You need to follow the directions provided by the consular services at your home embassy or country of origin.
At times it might require for a completion of a supplemental visa application in order to provide more detailed information about your travel plans.
A current, valid passport must be presented as well.The Ethiopian Government require that your passport has a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the in the transit.
Finally, a current photograph must be sent in along with the application. You may also be asked to provide evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover your expenses while in the transit.
You could be asked to provide evidence of permanent residence. This is generally established by evidence of family, professional, property, employment or other ties and commitments that will prove that you are not a wrong person. The application process may include a personal interview at the embassy consular section.
Ads by Google
- To apply, please you need to provide the following
- A clear scanned copy of your passport's bio data page (the page with your photo).
- Your profession.
- Estimated dates of arrival and departure.
Passport: Please make sure your passport meets the following legal requirements:
- The passport must be valid for at least six months when you leave Ethiopia.
- The passport must contain at least two blank pages.
- Current proof of income, tax payments, property or business ownership, or assets.
- A letter from your employer detailing your position, salary, how long you have been employed, any authorized vacation and the business purpose, if any, of your Ethiopia trip.
- Where appropriate, an itinerary and/or other information about your planned trip. (This can be tentative.)
- Bank statements or other evidence of liquid assets that indicate the balance in your accounts and account activity.
- International certificate of vaccination against Yellow Fever.
The cost to get a transit visa in Ethiopia varies from country to country where you are coming from and where you are going.
Before the fee for a transit visa was the same as that of a tourist or business visa. Ethiopia is among those countries that charge a different fee for each type of visa. Fees can range from $30 to hundreds of Dollars depending on the country to which you are coming from and applying.
The transit visa is valid for 10 days
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Ethiopian visas are usually processed in 5 to 10 business days Rush or Emergency visa service may be available for additional fees. Please visit “Ethiopian Consular Fees and Visa Processing Options” link for details.
- Ministry of Culture and Tourism
PO Box 1364, Addis
- Immigration and Refugee Affairs Authority
P.O. Box 5741 Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Telephone: (+251-11) 1553899
- If not in Ethiopia, visit any embassy or consulate office of Ethiopia in your country of residence
Applicants from any state from US
Travisa - Los Angeles
6222 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 210
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Tel: (323) 932-7300
Fax: (323) 784-3818
Travisa - Washington, DC
1731 21st. St. NW
Washington, DC 20009
Tel: (202) 463-6166
Fax: (202) 293-1112
- Applicants from Connecticut, New Jersey and New York
Travisa - New York
290 5th Avenue, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10001
Tel: (212) 613-2223
Fax: (212) 613-2287
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.