Ethiopia - Apply for a Temporary Work Permit
If you have gained employment and are planning on going to work in Ethiopia, you will as a main rule need a Temporary work permit.
Obtaining a work permit in Ethiopia is relatively easy, as compare to many other services provided by the government.
Temporary worker Permit are for persons who want to enter Ethiopia for employment lasting a fixed period of time, and are not considered permanent or indefinite. Each of these visas requires the prospective employer to first file a petition with Ethiopian Immigration Services. An approved petition is required to apply for a Temporary work Permit in Ethiopia.
The applicant for a Temporary work permit in Ethiopia must be foreigner invited for employment in by a registered company in the country.
Ads by Google
Obtainable only from the office of the Immigration in the Ethiopian Immigration Service Headquarters,at the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs in Addisababa.
- Ensure that you have a valid passport and get a business visa;
- A visa can be obtained either on arrival or prior to departure from any Ethiopian embassy, high commission or consulate office in your country of residence;
- Beware of presence of water born diseases and malaria in the country;
- Always have adequate hard currency before travelling because credit card are accepted in very few outlets.
- application for and find details of requirement;
- Application forms should be filled and signed by applicant;
- Attach all necessary documents on to the application form
- A recommendation letter from the concerned governmental bodies and other pertinent government organs, based on the kind of work for which the work permit is requested.
- An appropriate Educational and Experience documents.
- Confirmed Airline Return ticket
- Acceptance of IR (Immigration Responsibility form) by inviting organizations or individual.
- Permission from the school Official, if the temporary work visa was for students to study abroad but allowed to work on temporary basis or permission from any Responsible Officer for exchange visitors/ study program.
- Then you must present proof of payment for the fee. After the fee is paid and a receipt is issued, you can go to any embassy or consulate o to apply for Temporary work visa.
- Specific rules and requirements vary according to the embassy or consulate at which you apply.
- The worker may only perform the job for which their Temporary visa was issued for example temporary religious workers,
- You must prove that your sponsored by an employer for a nominated position to get a temporary work visa.
- You must hold relevant qualifications, skills, and experience in the employment field relating to the job.
- You must meet relevant health requirements and undergo a health check.
- You must meet character requirements and provide police certificates
- You must agree to the Values Statement for that foreign country where you intend to go.
- You must be able to meet standard of language if English is a 2nd language.
- Once the above is agreed, you may apply for the Temporary work Visa using the following steps.
Check the current Ethiopian visa regulations at the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs or find the Ethiopian embassy in your country of permanent residence to obtain the visa application requirements for Ethiopia;
- Apply for a business visa;
- On arrival fill the special pass form
- Get a temporary work visa application form and fill it accurately;
- Make all the necessary payments;
- Attach all the necessary documents like:-
- Letter of invitation from the Ethiopian company or organization .
- Letter of motivation (written by the applicant)
- Payment slips
- Submit all the documents to the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs in Ethiopia or at the Embassy of Ethiopia in the Country of Origin;
- Go to Min of Internal Affairs to the ministry after about two (2) weeks and pay for a Special Pass.
- Pick up passport later with Special Pass as the work permit is being processed.
- Physically go to the Min of Internal Affairs Office to inquire about if your work permit has been processed.
- hand in your passport. you will need to wait for a few days for processing.
- Make payment for Work Permit.
- Receive the Temporary work permit.
Ads by Google
- Letter of introduction from applicant’s company;
- Return Ticket reservation;
- 2 Current Passport photographs;
- Acknowledgment slip and payment confirmation receipt;
- €20.00 Administrative fee to be paid at the Embassy; .
€20.00 Administrative fee to be paid at the Embassy;
- Work permit – Birr 600
- Renewal – Birr 500
- Replacement – Birr 400
Validity period of the work permit depends on the duration of assignment one intends to do in the country.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The lead time to get a Temporary work permit at the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs is not more than two days. However, this is only possible provided that all the requirements provided by the Ministry are fully complied with.
- 1.Go to any embassy, consulate office or high commission of Ethiopia in your country of origin.
- 2.Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (MoLSA),
Kazanchis, Kirkos Kifle Ketema, Kebele 18
Tel: +251 115 537971
- 3.Ethiopian Investment Agency
P.O. Box 2313 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Telephone: 251 - 1 - 539474
Fax: 251 - 1 – 514396
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.