Ethiopia - Apply for a Research Permit
Ethiopia possesses diverse, rare and endemic species of wildlife, which are of great value to science, education and tourism. These diverse species of wildlife are protected and managed in different conservation areas. Research Permits are granted to individuals allowing them to undertake research for the benefit of local universities/institutions or as a part of his/her professional or educational requirement.
Any researcher that has relevance to the promotion of knowledge related to Ethiopian,Science,Education,tourism in wildlife is Eligible.
Ads by Google
Applications for Research Permits are submitted to the Permit Section, who is responsible for the processing and issuance of all permits.
- Name as shown on the birth certificate/passport
- Date of Birth
- Passport Number
- Marital status
- If in a relationship, give details of spouse/partner and all children under the age of 21 years who are applying for permits
- Residential addresses of the applicant and spouse where they lived for 12 months or more in the last 10 years
- Name and address of any friends, relatives or contacts in the Ethiopia
- Title of Research
- Brief description of this research project
- The name(s) of the local institution(s), which will assist you in your research
- The name(s) of your sponsor(s)
- How the research project will assist or be of value to Ethiopians
- Where in Ethiopia will the research be conducted .
- Step1 - Obtain necessary documents.
To undertake any research activity related to Science,Education,tourism in Ethiopia and/or any other related issue in research or habitat in
Ethiopia (even beyond the conservation areas) whether it is short or long-term, the researcher should apply to the Authority for the intended research Permit.
- Step 2 - The application form must be completed fully.
The completed application form should be submitted together with a detailed research proposal (following the standard project presentation format which is attached with these guidelines) to the relevant department three months prior to the intended date of research commencement.
If you are a student, you are required to attach a letter of recommendation from the head of the institution and grant paper from the funding institution with the completed application form and the research proposal.
If there is more than one researcher involved in the project, each person is required to complete the application form. The same project proposal may cover all applications.
The research will commence only after the proposal has been accepted and endorsed by relevant Authority. Hence, foreign researchers should not travel to Ethiopia before receiving a letter of confirmation.
- Step 3 - Submit form along with all the required documents.
After being given research permit, a memorandum of understanding between representatives of the two institutions, (i.e. the institution, from where the researcher is coming from, and institution where the research is to be conducted) must be signed by the visiting scientist/the group leader/student and that institution. The representative of the foreign institute should have a letter of delegation.
Upon receipt of the permit to conduct the research, an individual file will be opened for the researcher (the same file covers co-researchers and assistants).
- Step 4 - Pay the prescribed fee.
The completed application and the research proposal should be sent to Institution where the research is to be conducted and immigration office in Ethiopia . Research permit fee of 1000 USD per researcher per year will be paid to institution if the researcher is a foreign researcher.
Ads by Google
- A properly filled application in the official form provided by Immigration.
- Certified copies of the applicant’s passport/s (bio-data page).
- Letter of consent and endorsement from the local institution/s where the research will be undertaken.
- Ministry of Education support letter if a researcher is for educational purposes.
- Medical reports conducted within three (3) months or less from the date of application.
- Police reports in respect of applicant from the country of his/her citizenship and/or residence where he/she has lived for twelve (12) months or more in the last ten (10) years.
- Sponsorship letter and/or financial standing of the applicant.
- For research undertaken for periods less than twelve (12) months - a certified copy of a return airline ticket.
- The requisite fee.
Permit Fees (all Fees are in Dollars)
- Application for permit to enter, reside and work - 477.00
- Application for permit to enter, reside on assured income - 477.00
- Application for students permit - 140.00
- Application for permit other than those specified above - 477.00
- Application to extend or vary a permit - 477.00
- Issue of a permit other than Visitors permit - 190.00
- Extension or variation of permit - 190.00
- Application to extend visitor's permit - 96.00
- Issue of replacement permit - 140.00
- Short Term Permit Application - 667.00
- Issue of an authority to work/study/research/preach [Section 9(3) of Immigration Act 2003] - 190.00
- Appeal [Section 58 of Immigration Act 2003] - 953.00
- Prohibited Immigrant Uplift [PI Uplift] - 190.00
- Search fee - 13.00
valid for 1 year
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing takes 60 days
- Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research Organization
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
PO Box 393, Addis
Tel: 00251115517345, 514300
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.