Ethiopia - Apply for a Community Radio Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
The procedure for obtaining a Community Radio broadcast Licence as stipulated by The Ethiopia Broadcasting Authority (EBA) (as amended) is as follows:
1.A prospective applicant must be in a group and not individuals registered with the The Ethiopia Broadcasting Authority (EBA. Applying to operate a community Radio in the country. Its constitution must include the objective of operating a community radio station Broadcasting.
2.The applying groups will write to the Authority seeking approval to purchase a set of application forms, indicating the kind of service and location(s) intended.
3. Upon receiving approval, the Group or Association may then purchase a set of application forms including a copy of the Ethiopian Broadcasting Code and other publications that would provide an insight into broadcasting in Ethiopia, at the cost of fifty thousand Birrra only (Bir50,000) from any of the Authority's offices across the Ethiopia.
4.The set of forms purchased should then be completed and returned to the office of the Director General with the following:
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Certified copy of the Companys Memorandum and Articles of Association
- An Engineering design of systems including feasibility study
- A letter of undertaking in accordance with section 9
- A letter of reference from the Companys Bankers.
5.The application is processed by the Authority, recommended through the Honourable Minister of Information, to the President and Commander-in-chief of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia for further consideration.
6. Upon approval, the successful applicant is expected to pay the prescribed license fee and sign a license agreement before being assigned an appropriate frequency.
7. Currently, a licence life span is five (5) years renewable. A licence however lapses and stands revoked if not utilised within two (2) years of issuance
8. WARNING: It is illegal for any person to operate or use any apparatus or premises for the transmission of sound or vision by cable, television, radio, satellite or any other medium of broadcast from anywhere in Ethiopia, without a license. Note further that obtaining or submitting a license application does not confer on the applicant the right to acquire, operate or use such transmission equipment without the permission of the National Broadcasting Commission. Contravening this warning shall lead to the forfeiture of such equipment to the Federal Government; and the Commission will not hesitate to confiscate them.
9. The Commission, however, assures the public of its preparedness to facilitate applications through laid down procedure.
- Certificate of Incorporation and location of the station.
- Current Tax Clearance Certificate , a letter indicating tax waiver should be obtained and attached to the submission for the Community Radio.
- Certified true copy of Articles and Memorandum of Association.
- 3 passport photographs of authorized representative of the community/ Association.
- Feasibility report of proposed service applied for renewal.
- Completed application should be submitted in triplicate with all necessary documents attached and bound.
- On submission, a non refundable administrative charge which is 2% of the relevant license fee would be paid.
- A copy of Association Constitution.
- All payments are in bank draft .
Office Locations & Contacts
- Ethiopian Broadcasting Authority
located in ?d?s ?beba, Ethiopia
Fax: +251 (0) 11553 67 67
Phone: +251 (0) 11 553 87 55/56
Phone2: +251 (0) 553 87 65/66
Address +251 11 5538755
Tel: +251 11 5538756
- Government Communication Affairs.
Bole Road/Africa Avenue
Adjacent to Flamingo Restaurant
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Mobile: +251-911-15-81-89 Ato Mursan Oumer
Fax No- +251-1-1550-78-98
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Since the community radio by its very nature is radio for the people,or groups, and not individuals, are eligible to apply for licence to operate community radio in the country, The Ethiopia Broadcasting Authority (EBA) has the mandate to issue this License.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
The License is Valid for 5 years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The process takes 6 months
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
No person shall operate or use any apparatus or premises for the transmission of sound or vision by cable, television, radio, satellite or any other medium of broadcast from anywhere in Ethiopia except under and in accordance with the provisions of the Ethiopia Broadcasting Authority act.
- The key information required is as follows
1. Name of Applicant (or Authorized Group or Community)
2. Organization / Company/Association
3. Completed application form.
4. Certificate of Incorporation with the Ethiopian communication commission, if a company.
5. Certified true copy of memorandum & Articles of Association.
6. Tax Clearance Certificate
7. information on Equipment standards and specifications.
8. Information on a random sample of the equipment that was done and a technical and conformity tests that was conducted by ECC.
Need for the Document
A community Radio is a community friendly mass medium which is for, by and about the community,whose ownership and management is representative of the community,which pursues a social development agenda, and which is non-profit which is used in reaching people as a communicator. Particularly in countries like Ethiopia, where most of the people are too poor to buy modern electronic media and illiterate to read newspapers, the best alternative is a community radio. Radio transmission in Ethiopia has not covered the entire country yet.Because of this the Ethiopian parliament is in high gear to introduce a new broadcasting law which will make setting up community radios much easier.
- Community radio exists to serve the needs of its community.therefore a community radio by its very nature is radio for the people, by the people," It is its community that forms its audience.
"It provides platforms whereby community members can dialogue, debate and exchange ideas in their own languages and styles on issues that affect their lives in the community.
community radio could play an essential role in spreading knowledge and information in the communities.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.