Ethiopia - Apply for Biometric Passport
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- When you apply for a Biometric passport, you must submit the following
- Read carefully all the instructions in this procedure and other guidelines on the Ethiopian Immigration portal website before you send your application.
1. Fully completed and signed passport application form in two original signed copies (not photocopy).
- The application form must be filled in fully, legibly and accurately both in Amharic and English. (Preferably filled in Blue ink, it can be in hand or computer writer).
- Applicants must write their full name (three names: - your Name, your Father and your Grand Father name) in the provided space on application form separately.
- Applicants must answer each and every question on the application form.
- Birth date must be written in both Ethiopian and Gregorian calendars.
- Gather all of the necessary and supplementary documents according the checklist.
- Any document not in English or Amharic must be accompanied by a certified translation.
- Photocopy all original documents.
- If it is possible, printout the Passport Application form and the other application forms, to use as a working copy.
- Read the instruction guide before starting to fill the aplication form and send your application to the Embasssy.
- All applicants are advised to submit their application at least 2 to 3 months ahead of their planned travel date or prior to applying for any other services that requires a valid passport.
2. Applicant must provide document given from Ethiopia to confirm their nationality.
- Previous passport,
- Birth certificate,
- Driving license,
- Kebele ID card or other documents.
3.Registration paper attesting your nationality from the registration office of your province of residence,
- Personbevis from Sweden, (from Skatteverket in Sweden)
- Folkeregisteret from Denmark, (from folkeregisister office in Denmark) o Folkeregister from Norway, (from Folkeregister office in Norway)
- Extract from the Population Information System from Finland,
- Einstaklingar or a paper from Police or Immigration Authority from Iceland. You can see samples of these registration papers on our website
4. Police clearance or police report ((only for application presented in replacement for lost passport.)
5.Fingerprint you are advise to come to the Embassy in person to give their fingerprints.
- Provide four passport photographs of you and each applying family member applying for passport.
- Taken in the past 6 months.
- Write your full name on the back of all photographs
7.Pay the processing fee Ensure that you have paid the correct fee.
8.The passport division of the Embassy will review the application to make sure that it is complete.
Any follow up information regarding the status of your application would be forwarded through email. For this reason, it is a must to include your email address or your contact persons email address in all the provided spaces and in all of the application forms.
Your application may be delayed, returned or refused if it dose not accompany all the requested information, documents and fees.
- How to Apply Online
To apply online, visit the home page of Ethiopian Immigration Portal.
- Follow the instructions.
- Complete the application form.
- Payment can be done after your application. It is done electronically.
- Upon making your electronic payment or after having entered and submitted your (USPS) money order details, you will first be e-mailed an acknowledgement. Please allow 1-2 business days for receipt of a confirmation payment e-mail from SW Global LLC.
- To print out your receipt/acknowledgement slip, go to http://www.ethiopianembassy.org/consularservices/consularservice.php enter your application type, reference No., ID and click SEARCH RECORD
The Payment Confirmation Slip will contain an interview date, every applicant must attend and bring this document in person on the given interview date between 10am 1pm (Monday-Friday).
- Guarantor's form duly signed by a commissioner of oaths plus
- Photocopy of (a) Data page of guarantor's passport and
- Photocopy of National identity card
- Drivers License
- Father's Letter of content for minors under 16years (Mother's letter of consent in case of deceased father)
- Marriage Certificate where applicable
- Husband's consent letter or Letter of introduction for employee of government or corporate organization
- Court affidavit and police report in case of lost passport.
- Birth Certificate or Age declaration
- Letter of identification from Local Government of origin or residence
- One(1) passport photograph
- Acknowledgement slip and receipt of payment
Office Locations & Contacts
- 1.Go to any embassy, consulate office or high commission of Ethiopia in your country of origin.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
PO Box 393, Addis
Tel: 00251115517345, 514300
- Embassy of the United States - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Entoto Street P.O. Box 1014 Addis Ababa
- Opening Hours
Open Monday through Thursday for routine services by appointment only Hours: 1 pm to 3:30 pm, Monday – Thursday. The Embassy is closed for certain Ethiopian and American public holidays.
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (Embassy)
P.O. Box 1014
Tel: 251-1-174000, 251-1-550660
- Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (MoLSA),
Kazanchis, Kirkos Kifle Ketema, Kebele 18
Tel: +251 115 537971
- You can visit the following link for various embassies
All Ethiopian by birth, naturalization and registration are eligible to apply for a Biometric- passport
The fee for Ethiopian Passport is $65.00 .
All Biometric Ethiopian passports have a life span of 10 years and has an initial validity of 5 years
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
It takes 2 to 3 months to process a passport application
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
An Ethiopian is not allowed to hold a multiple standard passport
1. Full name and address of applicant
2.Place and date of birth
3.Sex of applicant
4.Details of duties assigned to the applicant
5.Date of commencement of duties
6.Duration of appointment
7.Expiration of appointment
8.Foreign country in which the applicant shall be carrying out the assigned duties .
Need for the Document
An ePassport is also known as a biometric passport. It looks like a traditional passport book, but it contains an electronic chip that is encoded with the same information. The chip holds the same information that is printed on the passport's data page: the holder's name, date of birth, and other biographic information. An e-Passport also contains a biometric identifier. The Ethiopian Government requires that the chip contain a digital photograph of the holder. All e-Passports issued by Visa Migration department in different countries and the United States have security features to prevent the unauthorized reading or "skimming" of data stored on the e-Passport chip.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.