Egypt - Apply for a Refugee Visa
To be eligible for consideration for a Refugee program, an applicant must meet the definition of a refugee. A person outside of his/her country of nationality or outside his/her habitual residence, who is unwilling or unable to return to that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution based on race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion. In addition, he/she must be able to establish that he/she is not already firmly resettled in a foreign country and must fall within certain refugee processing priorities.
- According to section 101(a)(42) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
- A refugee does not include anyone who ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in the persecution of any person on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.
- People resettled in Egypt as refugees or who have been granted asylum can apply for their spouse or minors and it should be within two (2) years.
- Those adjusted to permanent resident after previously having had the status of refugee or asylum
You must receive a referral to the Refugee Admissions Program for consideration as a refugee
Ads by Google
- Beneficiaries must meet the normal standards for refugees regarding excludability.
- Applicant must have received his / her status through adjudication not derivative basis.
- Should be filled within two years.
- Beneficiaries are spouse, children under 18 and even if not married.
- Asylum seekers must prove that they have a well-founded fear of future persecution for instance based on race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, and/or political opinion.;
- The persecution must either be carried out by the government or a group the government cannot control.
- A person who is granted political asylum may remain in the Egypt indefinitely and may apply for #permanent residence after one year;
- Dependants above eighteen (18) years apply independently;
- Conform to all laws and regulations of the country;
- Conform to all measures taken for the maintenance of public order;
- Should not engage in activities which may endanger state security, harm public interest or #disrupt public order;
- Should into engage in any political activities;
- Should not undertake any activities against another country;
- If engaged in gainful employment, one is obliged to pay taxes accordingly.
- Detailed information of applicant;
- Contact address
- Date of birth of applicant
- Relationship details with beneficiary
- Details of beneficiary
- Age of beneficiary
- Applicant files a refugee relative petition along with documents verifying relationship for instance marriage certificates and birth certificates;
- Documents are viewed by the authorized office to confirm relationships and eligibility;
- After viewing documents are either approved or rejected;
- If approved, the application is then forwarded to the immigration office or appropriate embassy.
- Beneficiaries are interviewed to verify identity.
Ads by Google
- Identification cards
- Marriage certificates
- Birth certificates
Free of Charge
Valid for 2 years then a renewal is required.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The process usually takes 3 to 6 months
Ministry of Manpower and Immigration
DR. Nahed ElAshry img
Address 3 Youssief Abaas St Nasr City Cairo
Phone no. 22609366 - 22609368 - 22618019
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Mr. Nabil Fahmyimg
Address Masbero-Kornish El Nile St.Cairo
Phone no. 25749817
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
The processes enable beneficiaries to:-
- Stay in Egypt indefinitely
- Work and study in Egypt
- Enroll in any schemes for some social services like health-related care and expenses
- Access certain social security payments
- Apply for Egyptian citizenship (after you have lived in Egypt for four years)
- Propose family members for permanent residence
- Attend Arabic language classes.
- If you are a refugee in the Egypt and want your family members who are abroad to join you, then you can do so by filing a separate application thereafter.
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.