Countries > Egypt

Egypt - Apply for Temporary Commercial Vehicle Import Licence

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



Think carefully,whether you need temporary commercial Vehicle import permit in conjunction with importing or bringing a vehicle in Egypt for permanent use. You may use a vehicle that has been brought into Egypt permanently for one week from the date of entry, provided it has a valid foreign registration and insurance cover without any problem from the Authorities in Egypt.

After the grace period of one week, the vehicle will need to undergo a proper registration and inspection process (at the Egyptian Tax Authority at the Motor Vehicle Inspection Division), you can request a 'Certificate of inspection' when you make an appointment for a registration inspection. In this case, you do not have to apply for temporary registration. However, bear in mind that your vehicle must have traffic insurance cover.


You must be owning a foreign private commercial vehicle at the time of registration.

Ads by Google


The owner of the Vehicle has to renew the registration with the Egyptian Tax Authority in Egypt by law upon entry into Egypt.
  • A Compulsory Third-Party Liability (CTPL) insurance is required before the Government agency will approve of the registration of foreign private vehicle .
  • This insurance is supposed to compensate the family of any person who will become a casualty of a vehicular accident.
  • An inspection report which details the specifics of the vehicle and the corresponding emission test done to check the vehicle is in a good condition before it is permitted to be used on the public roads of Egypt upon entry into Egypt.

Required Information

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Valid identity proof
  • Citizenship
  • Address
  • Occupation
  • The Customs Value (CIF Value)
  • The Engine Size
  • The Manufacturing Age of the Car .


It makes sense to apply for both temporary registration and proceed with the clearance and as first-time registration procedures at the same time.

If you have already applied for verification of origin and realize that you also have to apply for temporary registration, you can do this using a special form- Application for commercial temporary registration for imports. You must be going to live in Egypt permanently in order to be able to apply for this kind of registration.

  • Vehicles are subject to high import taxes and duties. Vehicles up to 1500cc incur 70% of value declared by Customs. Vehicles exceeding 1500cc incur taxes up to 96% of value declared by Customs. The OBL must show Chassis Number, Engine number, Cubic Capacity, year of manufacture, brand and model.

There are no restrictions on vehicles for Diplomatic and United Nations shipments.

  • The vehicle should be for the commercial use.
  • The driver should undertake to pay Full duty registration of the Vehicle for stay in Egypt at the expiry of the Temporary commercial Import Permit or at the time they leave Egypt, whichever occurs first.
  • Upon payment of full duty applicable at the time the vehicle was imported into Egypt the visitor should be free to sell, offer , or display for sale, lease, hire, lend, pledge or dispose of the vehicle in any other manner to any resident in Egypt without prior written authority of the Commissioner General of vehicle in Egypt.
  • In the event of extended stay of the visitor, the CTIP holder should approach the nearest Egyptian office for extension of the CTIP upon payment of tax and insurance.
  • In the case of a breakdown or an accident, the holder of the TIP should report to the nearest Egyptian office immediately.

In addition to those documents , you should also send in;

used commercial vehicle registration Form,: a 30-day insurance certificate issued by the Egyptian Tax Authority (does not apply to trailers).

Note: If you use a 30-day insurance certificate when applying for registration, the vehicle will become uninsured for the rest of the period during which the temporary registration is valid.

When the temporary registration has been granted, you will receive a temporary registration decision, a registration certificate and special number plates (red with white text). You should have the temporary registration decision with you when driving the vehicle.

You may not use a vehicle with temporary registration for commercial transport. In the case of temporary registration owing to import, the Transport Officer will grant either unrestricted or restricted use. If use of the vehicle is restricted, this will be indicated both by the plates and by the temporary registration decision. Unrestricted use will be granted if the vehicle:

  • has been brought in from a country within the ECOWAS,
  • has valid foreign registration whereby it may be used without restriction in that country, which is indicated by the documents submitted.

In the case of unrestricted use, the vehicle may be used in normal traffic during the period of validity. Restricted use will be granted if the vehicle

  • has been brought in from a country outside the EEA,
  • is a new vehicle that has not previously been registered in any country.

In the case of restricted use, the vehicle may only be used to travel the shortest appropriate route:

  • from a port, railway station, customs clearance point, repair workshop, storage premises or the like to such a place or premises where the vehicle can be kept pending a registration inspection, to or from an inspection.

However, after passing its registration inspection, a vehicle that has been registered as being subject to restricted use may be used in normal traffic for the rest of the period of validity. This applies provided the vehicle has not been modified in such a way that the design no longer corresponds with the registration inspection conducted.

The rules for how a vehicle with commercial temporary registration may be used differ from country to country. For this reason, check which rules apply in the country or countries where you are going to be using the vehicle.

Final registration

The Transport officer is entitled to refuse both an application for temporary registration and an application for final registration. The application will be rejected

  • if the vehicle is listed as missing,
  • is wanted by the police or its identity is uncertain owing to the information that they have obtained, for example, if previous registration or identification numbers (chassis numbers) could not be verified from an inspection.

Please note that a commercial temporary registration will not automatically mean that the vehicle will be approved for permanent use in Egypt.

It must also pass a registration inspection.

Ads by Google

Required Documents

  • Original Permits, Licences, Duty Free Certificates, Rebate Letters, Value Rulings (where applicable)
  • Value Declaration Forms
  • Valid passport of the driver.
  • Vehicle registration book in the name of the driver.
  • Letter of authority from the registered owner if vehicle is not owned by the driver.
  • Temporary exportation document from the Customs authorities in the country from where the visitor is coming from.


Please note that there is no charge for issuance of a CTIP per se. However, there are other fees that are payable at the point of entry such as third party insurance, carbon tax and road access fees.

  • Cross rate $2.00
  • Light motor Vehicle $10.
  • Minibus $10.
  • Third party insurance is payable at US$30 per month for small private vehicles.


The Commercial temporary registration applies for three months. During this period, the vehicle should undergo a registration inspection. The temporary registration ceases two weeks after the vehicle has passed its registration inspection, unless the original period of validity ceases within this time. The period of validity cannot be extended. The special number plates must be destroyed when the period of validity ceases.

The temporary registration ceases when the ownership changes. It may also be discontinued in advance, for example owing to collision damage. The owner should then notify the Transport officer in Egypt of this in writing, preferably on the registration certificate. The special plates should be returned to the Transport officer at the same time.

Documents to Use

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links

Sample Documents

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time

Processing takes 7 days

Office Locations & Contacts

Ministry of Transportation

Mr. Hany Sayed Mohamed Dahy img

Address Nasr Road, Nasr City, Cairo

Phone no. 2400814 - 22604884

Fax 22610510

E-mail N/A


Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Mr. Sameh Shoukry img

Address Masbero-Kornish El Nile St.Cairo

Phone no. 25749821-19713-25749816

Fax 25748822



Ministry of Interior Affairs

Address El Sheikh Rihan St.Cairo , Postal Code 11641

Phone no. 27948300 - 27959111 - 27952300

Fax 27960682



Ads by Google

Ads by Google


Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Information which might help

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links


More information which might help people.
Personal tools