Egypt - Apply for Islamic Halal certificate
Halal is an Arabic word meaning lawful or permitted.The opposite of halal is haram, which means unlawful or prohibited. Halal and Haram are usually used to describe something that a Muslim is permitted to engage in, e.g. eat, drink or use
All foods are considered halal except the following according to Islamic Law(which are haram):
- *Swine/Pork and its by-products
- *Animals improperly slaughtered or dead before slaughtering
- *Alcoholic drinks and intoxicants
- *Carnivorous animals, birds of prey and certain other animals
- *Foods contaminated with any of the above products
Islamic Halal certificate means that food has been subjected to approved certification systems which guarantee to consumers that nothing in the food has any forbidden components. Halal certificates are issued, for a fee, by a certifying body in Egypt.
The Egyptian organization for standardization and quality was entrusted with the responsibilities of Halal Food certification being imported, produced and manufactured in Egypt.
To be halal certified the animal must be facing Mecca, have its throat cut while still alive and then ritually sacrificed by a Muslim who recites a prayer dedicating the slaughter to Allah. Because the animals must be slaughtered alive, stun guns are often not an option as they can kill an animal before the heart pumps out all the blood. There are variety of Islamic groups in Egypt who are involved in Halal certification, with companies who wish their products to carry a Halal label paying fees for inspection and certification.
All Individual or companies interested in importing and exporting food products and other related products in Egypt.
Applicants that are eligible to apply for the Islamic Halal Certificate are categorized as follows:
- producer / manufacturer;
- distributor/ trade);
- sub-contract manufacture);
- food premise; and
- abattoir/slaughter house.
Ads by Google
- Halal food must be prepared according to Islamic law, and is free from pork products, alcohol and certain other ingredients
- Halal Food must be Free from any component that Muslims are prohibited from consuming according to Islamic law before certification.
- Halal food must be Processed, made, produced, manufactured and/or stored using utensils, equipment and/or machinery that have been cleansed according to Islamic law in order to get a certificate of Halal.
That all halal food must contain a Halal Logo which is put on the packages to certified and assure the Muslims in Egypt that the food packaged in the container has Halal food.
- Product / Consumer Goods
- Food Premise
- Slaughter House
Application for the Halal Certificate for national and international markets should be submitted to the Egyptian organizational for standardization and quality
Many individuals and companies in Egypt and other foreign companies are seeking to make profits in satisfying the Muslims' desires to eat only those products that are permissible to them. It is a very simple matter for anyone to label a product Halal. If the producers of the product are directly known to the consumers, then a level of trust can be determined.
- The following are steps to apply for Halal Certificate in Egypt
Inspection and approval of all slaughter plants to ensure that the beef produced from those plants was Halal and fit for the consumption of all Muslims.
- Stage one
- Factory Inspection
Egyptian organizational for standardization and quality should be informed in writing of any plant set up before commencing of any export of beef or Food product for local consumption or for export . The Halal Certificate issued by the foreign company must accompany the consignment of Halal food being shipped to Egypt. A manufacturer who intends to producing and distributing halal and non halal products or related product in Egypt shall first have the factory inspected by the Establishment Inspection Directorate of EOS and be assigned a Certificate of Recognition as a manufacturer before an application to register or process the product can be made.
The applicant must create a "Halal Confirmation Certificate" file to store all relevant documents and that can be referred to during premise inspection.
- Stage two
Application Form: upon approval after the inspection of the Factory the applicant can now purchase and fill the prescribed application form. if there different product line then a separate application form shall be submitted for each food product to be produced.
- Stage three
The Written application for Halal food products registration should be made to the Director Egyptian organizational for standardization and quality, stating the name of the manufacturer, the generic name of product, brand name (where applicable.
- Stage Four
Documentation: Here you are required to present the necessary documents specified by EOS to register each food products. These documents differ in some aspect depending on the different Food product you want register or process.
- Some of the documents include Inspection and approval form of for all slaughter plants to ensure that the beef produced from those : plants was Halal and fit for the consumption of all Muslims.
- Documents to prove that Muslim slaughtermen and/or workers where properly trained to perform the Halal slaughter in accordance with : the Islamic rites.
- Certificate of Inspection and supervision of the whole Halal slaughter at the Abbattoires issued by EOS;
- Manufacturing license and free sale certificate,
- Trademark registration,certificate of incorporation/business name and many more.
- Evidence of Trade mark approval for brand name from Federal Ministry of Commerce (where applicable).
- Certificate of Incorporation of the company issued by the Commercial registrar of Companies;
- Comprehensive Certificate of analysis of the batch of the product submitted for registration from the manufacturer stating name and signature of the analyst
Note: All the necessary documents must be found satisfactory before any other process can be carried out.
- Stage Five
Submit the Food sample: At this stage, samples of products presented are vetted. Such vetting includes checking the labels, leaflets, drugs information content of the food products. Three vetting samples shall be submitted upon satisfactory Pre- Registration inspection.
- Stage six
Labellings: At this stage after the Samples have been submitted, you are required to do Labeling of your food products to include Halal log on all the products.This must be done to give confidence to Muslim consumers that the Halal label is properly used and placed on their products.
- The labeling should be informative, clear and accurate.
- Minimum requirements on the package label in accordance with food labeling regulations shall be:
- Name of food (brand name) (where applicable).
- Name and location address of the manufacturer, distributor, packer or advertiser.
- Provision for EOS Registration Number on product label or listing number.
- Batch No., Manufacturing date and Expiry date.
- Net content.
- A complete list of ingredients.
- Adequate warnings (where necessary)
The following conditions for Halal/ certification by are the standards to be followed by the Abbattoires and other Food Manufacturing Industries in order to produce Halal Food for the Muslims:
- Animals will be blessed by Muslims recommended and authorized by or by its designated agent;
- Any stunning shall be only to render the animal unconscious momentarily and is not to cause death. This is established by Agriculture Canada requirements and sworn to by the Veterinarian in charge for slaughter operations.
- The animals are to be cut immediately after stunning to ensure bleeding time in excess of 90 seconds.
- The Halal identification is to be monitored and strictly regulated to ensure it is affixed only to the products from the Zabiha animals.
- EOS is to have the right of access to the business premises without prior notice to ensure that the requirements are being adhered to.
- Any Halal certification shall be limited to only the Halal operations and not a blanket certification of all meat producing operations.
- will terminate the Halal certification if the producer fails to make its products Halal.
Where a brand name is used, the type of product should also be stated e.g.:-
- Any food product whose name or package label bears close resemblance to an already registered product or is likely to be mistaken for such registered product,shall not be considered for registration.
- Any food product which is labeled in a foreign language should not be considered for registration unless an English translation is included on the label.
- Failure to comply with these requirements may result in the disqualification of the application or lead to considerable delays in processing of registration time.
- A successful application attracts a Islamic Halal Certificate of Registration with a validity period of 5 (five) years whereas products with Listing status has a validity of 2 (two) years
- Applications will be unsuccessful for the following reasons
- The company is producing and distributing halal and non halal products;
- Product is not halal;
- Natural substances that do not involve any processing;
- Drugs or products that are categorized as pharmaceutical products by the Ministry of Health Malaysia;
- Hair colorant / hair dye;
- Processed products manufactured overseas;
- Products that are labeled with names synonymous with confusing terminology such as ‘bak kut the’ and so on;
- Fertilizer and animal feed;
Stages involve in applying for Islamic Halal certificate for Food products with Egyptian organizational for standardization and quality in Egypt is procedural. Every process needed to register any food product must be followed to the later.
Ads by Google
- Company profile;
- Company / business registration;
- Name and description of product / menu for certification;
- Ingredients used;
- Name and address of manufacturer / ingredient supplier;
- Halal status for ingredients with halal certificate or product specification for critical ingredients (if relevant);
- Type of packaging material;
- Manufacturing process and procedure;
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Valid for 1 year
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing takes 30 working days.
- Egyptian Organization for Standardization and quality.
TEL: 202 22845524-22845522
Fax: 202 22845501
President Tel: 202 22845529-22845528
President Fax: 202 22845504
Central Department Director Tel: 202 22845526
Customer service: 202 22845503
Consumer protection: 202 22845500
- Information Centre
Tel/fax: 202 22845533 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Department for Quality: 202 22845520
General Department for Standards: 202 22845507
General Department for Measurements: 202 22845506
General Department for Technical Relations: 202 22845508
Food labs: 202 22845521
Marketing: 202 22845521
Samples: 202 22845503
Textile labs: 202 22845517
Chemical labs: 202 22845514
Engineering labs: 202 22845512
Metrology: 202 22845523
Purchases: 202 22845519
Web Site: http://www.eos.org.eg
Consumer Site: consumer.eos.org.eg
- Ministry of Industry and Trade
Mr. Mounir Fakhry Abdel Nour img
Address 2 Latin America St. Garden City .Cairo
Phone no. 27921193 - 27921194
- Ministry of Investment
Mr.Mounir Fakhry Abdel Nour img
Address 3 Salah Salem st., Cairo
Phone no. 24055628
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.