Egypt - Apply for Investment Permit
Egypt is among the 10 most active reform for the fourth time according to the world bank ranking of doing business since 2010.This was equated to the process of low cost starting new business,construction permit process,available information, credit bureau and created commercial courts among others.
This procedure is required for domestic investors and Diaspora investors /Foreigners. The government of Egypt established the General Authority for Investment and free zone (GAFI) which is a government agency established in 1997 to promote private investment, primarily foreign direct investment. The overall activities of the Agency is supervised and followed up by an Investment Board, which is chaired by the Minister of Industry. The GAFI is headed by a director general who is also a member of the Board and two deputy director generals.
An investment permit is issued to an investor to establish a new enterprise or to expand or upgrade one that already exists. As per the Investment and Incentives Law No. 8 of 1997 (as amended)and it is affiliated to the Ministry of investment in Egypt, a foreign investor or a domestic investor who is eligible for and wants to get incentives, is required to obtain an investment permit to invest in Egypt.
An Investment permit can be obtained in one of the following ownership forms:
- Sole proprietorship;
- Business organization incorporated in Egypt or abroad;
- Public enterprises; and
- Cooperative societies.
All foreign investor or a domestic investor who want to establish a business in Egypt.
Ads by Google
The office of the General Authority for Investment and free zone (GAFI) accepts application to obtain a trade license from 8:30 in the morning till 4:30 in the afternoon.
- The GAFI office also provides the following services
- Provide you with comprehensive advice and support to help in evaluating Egypt as a potential investment location.
- Provide you with an efficient and professional service and a timely response to your questions.
- Help you to obtain all necessary National and Local approvals to facilitate a fast start-up of your operation in Egypt, Through our ‘One-Stop-Shop’ facility.
- Help you to identify suitable locations and property options within Egypt to accommodate your investment.
- Help you to identify suitable Egyptian partners, if you wish to have a local Egyptian company as a partner.
- Fully respect your needs.
- Name of the applicant
- Intended Business Address
- Mailing Address
- Telephone number
- Fax number
- E-mail Address
- Business Type
- For corporations: names, nationalities, domicile of shareholders and percentage of Share Capital
- Amount of Capital to be invested in the enterprise
- Summary of business activities to be carried out
- Number of individuals to be employed
- Banker’s Name and Address in Egypt or overseas
- Fill out an application to obtain a the General Authority for Investment and free zone (GAFI) (in triplicate). Make sure that all your answers are complete and accurate.
- Submit the completed application to the Advisory Board along with a Letter of reference from the applicant's Bank(s) in Egyptian and overseas, Certificate of character (local and overseas) and a copy of the business plan to:
- Secretary Investment Permit Advisory Board
- Ministry of Finance, Industry and Consumer Affairs
- Pay the applicable fee.
- Receive your permit.
Ads by Google
- Application form signed by the investor/agent
- Power of attorney, if application is made through an agent
- Photocopies of Memorandum and Articles of Association, or a similar document of the parent company (where the investment is to be made by a branch of a foreign business organization in Egypt)
- Photocopies of the relevant passport pages of each shareholder, if the company is to be established in Egypt
- Clearance letter from the Ministry of Trade and Industry for the company name
- 3 recent passport-size photographs if the investor is an individual person
- In the case of a joint investment with a domestic investor, a photocopy of the identity card or certificate evidencing domestic investor status
The investment permit costs LE 2000.
Valid for a period of 1 year
- The investment permit must be renewed annually until operations have started. An updated status report must be submitted every 6 months to the Authority.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
1/2 hour inside the building, ready within 4 hours.
- The General Authority for Investment and free zone (GAFI)
Address : GAFI: 3, Salah Salem st; Nasr City, Cairo, 11562, Egypt.
Telephone : +(202) 240 55 452
Fax : +(202) 240 55 425
Email : email@example.com
- Ministry of Investment
Mr. Ashraf Abdel Tawwab Salman
Address 3 Salah Salem st., Cairo
Phone no. 24055628- 24055651
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.