Egypt - Apply for Emergency Travel Document
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The first procedure is to Contact your nearest Egyptian embassy, high commission or consulate to check if you need to make an appointment.
- You must bring with you:
- a completed emergency travel document application form.
- a recent photograph of yourself a colored photograph.
- proof of your travel plans - eg, booking confirmations (or detailed written travel plans if you cant book ahead)
- a police report if your passport has been stolen or lost.
- You will have to pay a fee in local currency, equivalent to LE 570.Egyptian pound.
- The embassy or consulate staff will check that youre eligible for an emergency travel document. If youre not, they will tell you why.
- You may get the document on the day you apply if your circumstances are straightforward.
- It can take longer if your circumstances are more complex.like 2 weeks depending on the complex of the situation.This may force you to change to change your travel plans.
- The emergency travel document will only be valid for the journey that you specified when you applied and for a specific period of time.
- This will be shown on the document.
- Your existing Egyptian passport will be cancelled in most cases.
- Immigration authorities may keep your emergency travel document when you arrive at your destination.
- To leave Egypt on an Emergency Travel Document you will need to visit an Egyptian Passport and Immigraton Office to complete the exit formalities.
- Some passport offices outside of Cairo may assist, but in many cases you will have to complete the formalities at the National HQ in Cairo.
- Completed application form
- Four passport size photographs
- Your photo copy passport if you have it and it should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Egypt.
- you can Contact the Egyptian embassy in your country of residence for further information on Emergency travel documents.
Office Locations & Contacts
Mogammaa El Tahrir, Tahrir Square,
Down Town, Cairo 1st floor:
Opening hours: 8am-2pm from Saturday-Thursday (Friday they close the office)
(N.B. The immigration office is a 10 minute walk from the British Embassy in Cairo).
Ministry of Manpower and Immigration
DR. Nahed ElAshry
Address 3 Youssief Abaas St Nasr City Cairo
Phone no. 22609366 - 22609368 - 22618019
- Emergency travel document is issued to a citizen of the Arab republic of Egypt who is travelling on an emergency journey and does not fulfill the normal requirements of getting a passport.
- This document is also given to a person who is stranded abroad and cannot get a passport or being deported back home.
One-way emergency travel document is issued at a cost of L.E 140 for repatriation to Egypt.
- An emergency travel document shall be valid:
- for the country of destination and other countries of transit;
- for a single journey for a period stated therein; usually one week
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The process takes only one week.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
You need to apply in person.
- Requirements include: an interview at the Embassy; to be scheduled at the earliest, three days before the confirmed date of flight.
- Two (2) passport size photos
- Proof of Egyptian citizenship i.e. Egypt Passport or National Identity Card.
- Police Report if passport is lost.
- Confirmed flight booking/ticket.
Need for the Document
An emergency travel document lets you leave another country if you cant get a new or replacement Egyptian passport in time to travel. You can apply for an emergency travel document (sometimes known as an emergency passport) if youre a Egyptian national outside the Egypt and your passport has been lost, stolen, damaged or has expired.You should first try to renew or replace your passport if it has expired or is damaged. Only apply for an emergency travel document if you need to travel before you can get a replacement done.
An emergency travel document allows you to leave the country youre in and travel to your destination via a maximum of 5 countries. The emergency travel document can also cover a return journey if youre resident in the country youre applying from. An emergency travel document doesnt guarantee entry to every country. You may also need a visa. You will need to check with the embassy or consulate of the country or countries youre intending to travel to or through.
Information which might help
- UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for exit from Egypt, but not accepted for entry or transit.
- Evidence of a previous visit to Israel like as an Israeli entry/exit stamp in your passport does not normally cause any difficulties when entering Egypt.
- It is, however, for the Egyptian authorities to determine the right of entry into the country. If you have any concerns, you should contact the Egyptian consulate in your country of origin.
- 5,000 Egyptian pounds is the maximum amount of local currency you are allowed to bring in or take out of Egypt.
- There is no limit to the amount of hard currency that you may bring in, but sums that exceed USD 10,000 should be declared on arrival.
- Certain valuables like electrical equipment, video cameras etc must be declared on arrival.
- Satellite phones and radio communications equipment brought into Egypt without prior clearance from the Ministry of Telecommunications are likely to be confiscated.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.