Egypt - Apply for Citizenship
So many people experience frustration and disappointment when trying to obtain Egyptian citizenship. The citizenship guidelines are so strict that one has to strive hard to overcome the hurdles to gain Egyptian citizenship. Generally the journey begins without knowing the actual process. Let us see a few tips on how to apply for citizenship and attaining the same in Egypt.
Egyptian citizenship can be obtained in two ways - through birth and through naturalization. Through birth refers to the people born by Egyptian parents or born in the Egypt. Through naturalization refers to the people who have permanent resident status in the Egypt and who can apply for citizenship based on their eligibility.
People who have permanent resident status in the Egypt can be eligible for citizenship in Egypt. People born by Egyptian parents or born in the Egypt by parents of different origin.
Ads by Google
The application Should be submitted by an adult or by his mother if he is a minor.
The following documents should be attached :
- Spouses, widows and widowers of Egyptian citizens (if the applicant is married for at least 7 years.)
- Lawful residents (those who have been ordinarily resident in Egypt for a period of five years)
- Children and persons with disabilities (made for the biological or legally adopted children of Egyptian citizens)
- Stateless and migrant persons (persons who voluntarily migrated to Egypt and/or have continuously lived in Egypt)
- Descendants of stateless and migrant persons (persons who have attained the age of eighteen years and whose parents had voluntarily migrated to Egypt and or has continuously lived in Egypt)
- Should be a national born abroad ;
- Both or one of the parents should hold Egyptian citizenship;
- Below the age of eighteen (eighteen) years;
- Has an obligation to choose one citizenship when he / she makes eighteen (18)
- Once the decree is issued,You will obtains a notification for the Civil Status Department to issue an Egyptian birth certificate and an Egyptian identification card.
- You will also obtains a notification for the Military Recruitment Department to be exempted from military service according to the Defense Minister Decree No. (280) of 1986 regarding the exemption of persons having dual nationalities from military service.
- If the applicant applies for an Egyptian passport, he gets permission for that. Once the application is accepted, a notice will be sent to the applicant with notification of the fingerprints and bio-metrics appointment which kick starts the journey toward official citizenship.
- Basically, the bio-metrics are done to prove the identity of the person and to check for criminal records if any.
- All the required evidence should be brought during the time of the interview to provide enough proof and to speed up the process.
- A good knowledge of Arabic is very essential which will help while taking up the Arabic test and which is mandatory for obtaining citizenship in Egypt.
- The ability to read, write and speak English or Arabic will be tested along with the applicant's knowledge of Egyptian history and civics during the interview process.
- During the interview process being truthful and honest will definitely push you to the next level in the process of obtaining the Egyptian citizenship.Being a country with majority of Muslim they require someone of integrity, honest and Truthful in all the dealings.
- After the successful completion of the citizenship test and interview comes the oath of allegiance in competent courts in Egypt.
- This refers to the original ceremony to mark the occasion of getting the citizenship and will be notified through an invitation.
The Egyptian citizenship certificate will be issued as a final mark for accepting you as a citizen of Egypt. In case of denial, you will not receive any invitation which means that the case is in pending due to some reason in which case you can appeal again for reconsideration.
Ads by Google
- The applicant's birth certificate (original & copy).
- The applicant's foreign passport (original & copy).
- Four photos of the applicant.
- Criminal record of the applicant who is 16 years or older.
- The applicant's education certificates.
- The Egyptian mother's birth certificate (original & copy).
- The birth certificate of the Egyptian mother's father (original & copy).
- The marriage contract of the Egyptian mother to the foreign father.
L.E. 50.40 development fee (for each son / should be paid when submitting the application) L.E. 1206.80 issuance fee of the decree granting nationality ( for each son / should be paid after the decree issuance )
The document is valid for 10 years and renewal is required for more two times and the rest of years you don't need any more renewal.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The processing takes 3 to 6 months
Ministry of Interior affairs
The Civil Status Department
Major General Major General Mohamed Ahmed Ibrahim Mohamed Mostafaimg
Address El Sheikh Rihan St.Cairo , Postal Code 11641
Phone no. 27948300 - 27959111 - 27952300
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Mr. Nabil Fahmy img
Address Masbero-Kornish El Nile St.Cairo
Phone no. 25749817
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.