Colombia - Convert or Exchange Foreign Driver License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Go to a driving license authorized by the Ministry of Transport.
- Fill out an application form.
- Present and submit required documents.
- Pay the fees.
- Sign up for the National Transport Registry, the Registro nico Nacional de Trnsito (RUNT).
- A signed application form which is provided by the authorities (hoja de datos licencia de conduccin)
- A 3x4cm color photo, with the applicant's identity number written on the back
- Copy of blood type certificate
- Medical certificate
- A photocopy of the national ID card (cdula) or foreigner's ID card (cdula de extranjera)
- Photocopy of the valid foreign driving license
- An official translation of the foreign driving license, issued either by the diplomatic representatives of the foreign country and apostilled or by the Colombian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores)
- Receipt of payment for the service, which varies depending on the type of vehicle the license is for
Office Locations & Contacts
- Conducir Colombia
Av. Cra. 30 No 1d - 62 Barrio Santa Isabel
Phone: 2 770204
Foreigners in Colombia
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Driving licenses are valid for ten years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- The applicant must first ensure that they have no outstanding fines or charges at the national and district level. *National fines and charges can be checked on the SIMIT website.
- At the district level, they can be checked on the Secretara de Movilidad website for the relevant district.
- The license should be obtained in person.
- Fingerprints must also be provided by applicants with a foreign ID card (cdula).
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Foreign driving licenses (licencias extranjeras) can be used in Colombia as long as they are still valid in the country they were issued in. This means that unless there are very specific reasons for doing so, it is not necessary to convert a foreign driving license to a Colombian license. There may however be a limit to the length of a time a foreign vehicle may be used in the country, and this should be checked if a car has been temporarily imported.
If the driving license is going to expire and the holder plans to remain in Colombia, then it can be replaced with a driving license issued by the national authorities. The current driving license must first be recognized as valid by the Ministry of Transport. The process is known as Convalidacin de Licencia de Conduccin Extranjera (recognition of a foreign driving license).
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Exchanging a Foreign License
- Conducir Colombia
More information which might help people.