Colombia - Change Your Name (Deed Poll)
If you are using, or wish to use, a name other than your registered name, there is no legal requirement that you formally change your name. It is, however, recommended that you change your name officially, both for identification and as evidence of your name change. Name change generally refers to the legal act by a person of adopting a name different from their name at birth, marriage or adoption. The procedures and ease of a name change vary between jurisdictions.
The law allows for once and to establish identity, replace, modify, correct or add his name by deed, acting directly if you are elderly or through legal representative if younger. It should for example if the entity divergence using and which is registered, or if this is a ridiculous name. Not applicable for whim nor can alter marital status. Any notary shall be responsible for it, but if you are in the circle in which you are enrolled, you should go to the notary that has the record.
Ads by Google
Typically, you may legally change your name to whatever name you'd like. There are some exceptions, though:
- You can't change your name just to escape debt liability or to hide from criminal liability.
- You can't change your name in order to commit a crime.
- You can't change your name with the intention to mislead. This usually involves taking the name of a famous person. Courts typically do not allow this, unless you have a convincing reason that is not related to the famous person or the use of his or her name.
- You can't choose a confusing name one that includes numerals or punctuation. However, some courts have permitted people to spell out the numbers, for example "Seven" instead of "7".
- You can't choose a name that would intimidate, offend, or be considered obscene.
- You can't choose a racial slur.
- Your name as listed on birth certificate or immigration or citizenship documents.
- The full name you are applying to change to (if you are changing your name).
- Date and place of birth
- Marital status and details
- Places of residence for last three months
- Address for Correspondence
- Obtain all necessary documents in applying for the change of name.
- Submit your application along with all other requirements.
- Once the new name or surname is accepted, you may proceed in registering your new name.
Ads by Google
- Certificate of Criminal Record
- Request Addressed to the Minister of Justice
- Application addressed to the Registrar
- Identity Card (original and photocopy)
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
National Civil Registry
Avenida Calle 26 # 51-50 - CAN (Bogota - Colombia)
Switchboard: (571) 220 2880, 220 7600
Registration Offices Colombia
When selecting a department, you get the Registrales Circles and municipalities comprising said circle. All Public Registry Offices instrument have a registration circle in which the formalities are done. Registration departments
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
How you should go about changing your name will depend upon which category you fit into. Changing your name after marriage or divorce is quite a simple process, while changing your name 'just because' requires a little more effort, but it is still quite straight forward and a lot easier than it used to be.
To change your name, submit a petition to your local Superior Court that details the reasons you'd like to change your name. After the court approves your request, you'll then need to update your Social Security card, driver's license and passport.
You may want to change your name because:
- You have just gotten married
- You have divorced
- You just want a change
- In case of adoption
People choose to change their name for a variety of reasons. Maybe you just want to change the spelling of your name, you don't like the name your parents gave you, you want to get rid of your middle name, you want to remove any family associations, or maybe you just want a change! You can legally change your first name, middle name or surname, or any combination of those.