Countries > Canada

Canada - Single Status Certificate (Single Status Declaration, Single Status Affidavit)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



Single status certificate is basically a paper saying you are single. You can obtain the single status certificate by following the below instructions and procedure.

A Single Status Declaration or Single Status Affidavit is a document that, at minimum, states your present marital status, the name and citizenship of your future spouse, as well as your permanent address in Canada.


If you are getting married overseas, most countries will require a statement in-lieu of certification of non-impediment to marriage abroad. You can apply for one by mail to the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada Authentication and Service of Documents section before your departure. If you are already abroad, you may obtain a "Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment" from the nearest Canadian government office abroad.

Ads by Google


  • You can get the single status certificate by vising the Vital Statistics/Registrar office which is located at 777 Bay St. at the market Level, # 1-800-461-2156
  • You may ask for the marriage search after reaching Vital Statistics/Registrar office.
  • This search would give you a paper saying that you have not been married within this time period and thus will say that you are "single".
  • If you bring your acceptance letter from your school, and say it’s an emergency, you can get this paper sent to you within 10 days. Whereas if you didn’t do this, it will take somewhere between 4 to 6 weeks. This will cost like $15 (somewhere around there)
  • After this is done and you will receive a letter, the letter should say that "there was no registration of marriage found in their system".
  • After getting letter you need to get legalized the letter by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Dutch Embassy

Required Information

  • Full name (Sur Name and Given Names)
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Age at Present
  • Mother’s Given Name
  • Father’s Given Name
  • Postal Address
  • Residential Address


You can draft the document yourself, or you can have someone draft it for you. Once the document has been drafted, it must be signed and then notarized by a Canadian Notary Public.

To have a document notarized means to have a specially authorized person, called a Notary Public, witness the signing of the document. The Notary Public will then place their signature and stamp on the document, certifying that they have witnessed the signature and verified the identity of the parties involved.


  • If you need to sign the document in question, make sure you sign it in front of the notary. They need to actually watch you sign the document, so don’t do it in advance.
  • Make sure that the notary signs the document and also has their name clearly printed. The Department of Foreign Affairs will reject a document if they cannot read the name of the notary.

Now that you have your Single Status Declaration notarized, it is ready to be authenticated and legalized for use abroad. The authentication and legalization process enables Canadian documents to be recognized in another country.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and each diplomatic mission have very specific requirements for the authentication and legalization of Canadian documents. It is very important to do your research in advance to ensure your documents are prepared correctly.

  • Go to the Vital statistics/registrar office which is located at 777 Bay St. at the market Level, # 1-800-461-2156
  • You need to ask for a marriage search. This search would give u a paper saying that you have not been married within this time period and thus will say that you are "single".
  • You will receive a letter which says that "there was no registration of marriage found in their system".
  • Then you have to legalized the document by ministry of foreign affairs which can be done at Official documents Services, 77 Grenville St. 9th floor, Toronto, ONT, M5S 1B3, Tel # 416 325-8416
  • Then you will need to get this paper legalized by the Dutch Embassy which is at 1 Dundas St. west (usually open to the public from 9am till noon).
  • After legalizing your single status paper it won’t take you more than a couple of hours to get this done.

Ads by Google

Required Documents

  • National identity card or Passport.
  • Proof of address.
  • If divorced, Decree Absolute.
  • If widowed, Death Certificate of previous spouse (and Marriage Certificate).
  • If your name has been changed by Deed Poll, proof is necessary.
  • The relevant fee.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use


Sample Documents

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time

Please explain the processing your application.    

Office Locations & Contacts

Vital Statistics/Registrar

777 Bay St. at the market Level

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Official documents Services
77 Grenville st. 9th floor, toronto, ont
M5S 1B3
Tel # 416 325-8416

Provincial Vital Statistics Offices

Embassies and Consulates

Ads by Google


Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Information which might help

It is advisable to follow the guidelines that certain authorities deem necessary. Those wishing to marry overseas will need special documentation. First, couples will have to present a declaration that is processed by your local office where marriage documents are produced. This must be from the province where you live in the Canada. On this statement will be recorded the fact that there has not be any marriage in recent years.

Due to the fact that these types of documents are sought for foreign involvement one will need the local or state registrar’s account or declaration to be authenticated to work abroad.

  • Go to the Civil Registry office where marriages are registered.
  • Present and submit required documents.
  • Complete a form and declare.
  • Pay the fee.

Through a sworn affidavit the applicant confirms that they are who they claim to be. The Single Status Letter or Affidavit says that they are able and free to marry among other things. Bear in mind that one fact about the Single Status Affidavit is that it is not a government document; rather, it is a letter from the affiant signed in front of a notary public. An interesting fact about this type of document is that there are many names given for it. For example look at this list: "Single Status Statutory Declaration" or a "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" or a "Single Status Certificate" or "Free-to-marry statement".

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

The Bride & Groom to be married must provide from their country of Citizenship, individual Certificates of non impediment, as proof that they are both indeed single and eligible to marry. This is also called an affidavit of single status or negative statement of marriage. This document can be obtained at the Bureau of Vital statistics in their city they reside.

External Links

Single status certificate in Canada

Office of Vital Statistics

Getting Married


If you are planning to marry in another country, you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment. This document has many different names such as Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marry, Statutory Declaration of Single Status, Affidavit of Intended Marriage, Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad, Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of No Impediment, Certificate of Nulla Osta, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or just free to marry.

Personal tools