Canada - Obtain Duplicate Citizenship Card (Lost, Stolen, Damaged)
The Canadian citizenship certificate (formerly citizenship card) is a document used by naturalized Canadian citizens to prove their status in Canada.
A new application must be submitted when a citizenship certificate is lost, stolen or destroyed, as well as when a Canadian has had a legal name change.
This application is for Canadian citizens residing inside or outside Canada who wish to apply for a citizenship certificate as proof of Canadian citizenship. For minors (under 18 years old), their parent or legal guardian must apply for them. If you are applying for of a minor, remember that the questions apply to the minor.
If you have proof that you need to replace your citizenship card urgently, you can get it sooner than the usual processing time of 4 - 6 months.
Ads by Google
- The program requires approximately six months to process applications.
- Individuals can view the status of their applications online using the Client Application Status service.
- Application Forms and Guides.
- The certificate number
- Your Unique Client Identifier
- Your name
- Your date of birth
- Your gender
- The date you became a Canadian citizen
In Canada and the United States.
- Read your instruction guide and download your application forms
- Complete, sign and date your application forms
- Pay the fees
- Mail your fully completed application to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia
Outside Canada and the United States. Contact the nearest Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate.
- Read your instruction guide and download your application forms.
- Complete, sign and date your application forms.
- Pay the fees.
- Mail your fully completed application.
Ads by Google
- Application for a Citizenship Certificate (adults and minors) (including the Document Checklist) [Form CIT 0001] (PDF, 1.9 MB) October 2014
- Citizenship Photo Specifications
- Fees Receipt
- You have two options to obtain a fees receipt:
- Pay your fees online.
- Pay your fees at a financial institution in Canada.
- You will need an original fee receipt
- Instruction Guide [CIT 0001]
There is a fee of $75 (tax included) for citizenship certificate applications.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Once your application has been received, it will be processed and you will be advised whether your request has been approved or refused. Processing times can change. You can obtain current processing times on thiswebsite.
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
This Citizenship and Immigration Canada program issues certificates as a proof of citizenship to naturalized Canadian citizens, as well as to Canadian-born citizens who submit an application.
Effective February 2012, CIC started issuing a new citizenship certificate. The current citizenship certificate (hereafter referred to as the plastic wallet-sized card with photo) and the commemorative document will be replaced by an 8 ½ inches by 11 inches letter sized certificate containing information on both sides without photo, signature or security features.
All citizenship certificates, including the plastic wallet-sized card with photo, issued before February 1, 2012, remain valid. It means that any Canadian who currently holds a citizenship certificate does not need to apply for a replacement.
The citizenship certificate is not a travel document. Any Canadian citizen wanting to travel abroad should obtain a Canadian passport.
A citizenship certificate is a document that proves someone is a Canadian citizen. It is not a travel document. You need to get a Canadian passport to travel outside Canada.
If you have become a Canadian citizen after immigrating to Canada, you have to show your original citizenship document when you
- Renew your Canadian passport
- Renew your health card
- Renew your driver's license or provincial ID
- Enroll in school
- Start a job