Countries > Canada

Canada - Apply for Permanent Resident Card (PR Card)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



This application is for people with permanent resident status in Canada, who are applying for their first Permanent Resident card (PR card).
The PR card is a status document that provides secure proof of permanent resident status. A Permanent Resident Card is a document required by permanent residents, including children, who are planning on traveling outside of Canada and then return to Canada by any commercial transporter such as plane, train, boat or bus.


To be eligible for a PR Card, you must:

  • be a permanent resident of Canada
  • be physically present in Canada
  • not be under an effective removal order
  • not be a Canadian citizen or a registered Indian under the Indian Act and
  • not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR card

If you are currently outside Canada and do not have a valid PR Card to return to Canada, you will need to obtain a travel document from a Canadian visa office. An application is available on their website:
Once you have returned to Canada, you should apply for a PR Card.

Ads by Google


  • Read the instruction guide thoroughly and then fill out each of the applicable forms.
  • The forms are specifically designed with questions that will assist the processing of your application.

Required Information

  • Personal Details
  • Immigration History
  • Personal History
  • Residency Obligation
  • Declaration of Applicant


  1. Gather documents.
  2. Complete the application.
  3. Pay the fees.
  4. Mail the application to:

Case Processing Centre — PR Card
P.O. Box 10020
via courier:
Case Processing Centre - PR Card
47-49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, NS
B1P 5Z2

Application Form for Permanent Resident Card:

Ads by Google

Required Documents

  • Application Form for Permanent Resident Card(fully completed and signed)
  • Supplementary Identification Form
  • One (1) primary identity document
    • your valid passport or travel document or
    • the passport or travel document you held at the time you became a permanent resident (including your passport’s page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became permanent resident), or
    • the certificate of identity or travel document issued by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada or a foreign country.
Note: The copy should show the document type and number, issue and expiry date, your name, photo and date of birth.
Under exceptional circumstances, if it is impossible for you to obtain any of the above you must provide a:
  • copy of any identity document issued outside Canada before you came to Canada or
  • statutory declaration signed by you attesting to your identity and a statutory declaration also attesting to your identity signed by:
  • a person who knew you before you came to Canada (such as a family member) or an official of an organization representing people from your country of nationality or former residence.

Format: Clear and legible photocopy

  • Two (2) secondary identity documents
    • your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) or
    • your valid provincial driver’s license or valid provincial photo-identity card or
    • your valid University/College photo student card or
    • your most recently issued Income Tax assessment issued by the Canada Revenue Agency
  • Additional documents of proof of residence in Canada in the past five (5) years

Include the following with your application:

  • Photocopies of all pages of all passports you held in the past five (5) years (if your stamps are not in English or French, please have them translated, see section on Translation of documents), and

A copy of one of the following:

  • Other Income Tax assessments issued by Canada Revenue Agency within the past five (5) years, or
  • transcripts from a recognized post-secondary institution in Canada verifying attendance within the past five (5) years or
  • for all school-aged children, written records verifying attendance within the past five (5) years.

Note: If you are unable to provide two secondary identity documents or proof of residence as described above, include a signed and dated statutory declaration clearly explaining the reasons why.

  • Two (2) photos placed in a small envelope (no staples or paper clips)
  • Copy 2 of the Receipt form showing the amount paid

Other required documents

  • If you are under the age of 18: a photocopy of your birth certificate, adoption order or legal guardianship document and school records;
  • Proof of residency requirements if you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five years.
  • Translation of documents.


Payment Method

  • Preferred payment method is online.
  • You can pay your fees on line if you have:
    • a credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express)
    • access to a computer with an Internet connection
    • a valid e-mail address
    • access to a printer (you will need to print the receipt)
  • If you do not wish to pay using the Internet, payment must be made at a financial institution in Canada. The financial institution will let you know what method of payment it accepts. There is no banking charge to pay at a financial institution.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Sample Documents

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time

43 calendar days
(This time applies if you have provided a mailing address)
Note: If you live inside Canada and if it has been longer than the time shown above since you applied, please contact the Call Centre. Call Centre agents cannot speed up the process of your application or make decisions on your case.

Office Locations & Contacts

  • Within Canada

CIC Call Centre: 1 888 242-2100 (toll-free)
Hours of operation:
Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time If you are deaf, deafened or hard of hearing, or you have a speech impediment and use a text telephone, you can access the TTY service from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. your local time by calling: 1-888-576-8502 (in Canada only).

  • Outside Canada

Contact a visa office at a Canadian: Embassy,
High Commission or
Consult the local phone pages or the CIC website for addresses, phone numbers and website addresses

Ads by Google


Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Information which might help

Checking application status on line
You can check the status of your application on-line by doing the following:

  • Go to the CIC website.
  • Select Check application status.
  • Follow the instructions provided.

Note: Your application status will only appear on-line once the application is received and the initial review by CIC is completed.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links


More information which might help people.
Personal tools