Canada - Apply for Driver License
In Canada, driver's licences are issued by the government of the province or territory in which the driver is residing. Following are the procedures on how to apply for driver's license in Canada.
Canada's driving age is determined on a province-by-province basis; generally it is 16 to learn and the solo driving age.
Ads by Google
- The process for getting a driver’s license in Canada depends on the province or territory in which you live and on your driving background.
- You may need to pass a written examination on the rules of the road (study guides are available) and one or two driving tests.
- You may choose to pay for driving lessons to prepare for the driving tests (you can search online for lessons).
- Once you have a license, it will have to be renewed periodically (see the expiry date on your license).
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
- Go to a Driving License Office to apply for a driver's license.
- Verify your identity and residency.
- Provide required information and different documents to satisfy the qualifications.
- Submit the documents and other support documents as required.
- Your application will be processed. If approved, your driver license application will be granted.
- Pay the fees.
Ads by Google
- Canada's operator's license or identification card
- Photo driver's license (from another jurisdiction)
- Valid Canadian Passport
- NEXUX Card
- Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
- Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) Card (Federally issued)
- Municipal, Provincial or Federal Police Force Identification.
- Valid foreign Passport with appropriate Immigration documents
- Permanent Resident Card.
- Birth or Marriage Certificate (original or certified)
- Utility statements, such as cable, telephone, gas, electricity
- Work Visa, Student Visa, Permanent Resident Card
- Canada Citizenship Certificate (issued after February 1, 2012)
- Income tax receipts
- Property tax bill
- Insurance policy documents (life, auto, residential, etc.)
- Government assistance document(s) (e.g. Income Support document.cheque, etc)
- Canadian birth certificate
- Permanent Resident Card
- Citizenship Card
- Canadian Passport
- proof that you are an Alberta resident (i.e. utility bills or other statements mailed to your Alberta address)
5-year licence renewal - $75
The driver license will be valid for five years from your upcoming birthday.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Enter other informations which might help
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.