Cameroon - Obtain a Death Certificate
The death of implies that the person is no more alive. To prove that there is no more life for a person, a death certificate must be obtained. A death certificate is issued by registering death.
A family head, a relative of the deceased or any other person present at time of death can apply for a death certificate. In case where death occurs in a medical institution, the head of the institution must make a declaration.
Ads by Google
1. Applicants must declare deaths to the civil status registrar of the place of its occurrence, burial, residence or both.
2. Death must be declared within a period of ninety (90) days.
3. In cases where body of deceased person cannot be found or cannot be identified, an applicant must go to the civil status registrar and must have a declaration of the judicial police officer.
4. Police shall carry out investigation where need be.
1. Name, profession and residence, relationship and home of the applicant;
2. Name, date and place of birth, sex, marital status, profession and residence of the deceased;
3. Date and place of death;
4. Cause of death;
6. Place of burial;
7. Names of both parents of the deceased;
8. Names, profession and residence of witnesses; and
9. The date the certificate was drawn up.
- When a person dies in a medical institution, a doctor’s death certificate is issued by medical institution authorities to the family immediately before they take the body; and in this case a medical authority of the institution must report death to the civil status registrar with in a period of ninety (90) days.
- All necessary / required documents must be submitted, and after verification, a death certificate is issued.
- In cases where death occurs not in a medical institution, a family member or friend reports death to either the local authorizes in the place where the deceased resided or local authorities where he / shall be buried, or to both authorities.
- The registration officer issues a legalized death certificate.
- The applicant then proceeds to the civil status registrar and reports death, he / she must submit all required documents and then an official death certificate shall be issued after verifying documents.
Ads by Google
- A doctor’s certificate (in case death occurred in hospital);
- A declaratory judgment (where death was proven in court)
- Proof of death from local authorities;
- Identity card or travel document of the deceased
- Identity card or travel document of applicant
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
This is valid forever.
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Two (2) to three (3) days
1.Civil Registration Center in your local area.
2.Cameroon Embassies, High commissions or consulate offices in different countries a list of these can be viewed at http://www.visasinfo.com/cameroon_embassy.html.
3.Minister of Justice & Keeper of the Seals
P. O Box 1000, Yaounde Cameroun
Telephone: (+237) 22 23 55 56
Fax: (+237) 22 23 55 59
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
1. Before submitting application, an applicant must ensure that he / she has all the necessary documents and always report death early enough to avoid wastage of time in processes on investigations.
2. Death abroad must be reported to any nearby Cameroon embassies, high commissions or consulate office
- Death certificates are used when a once married person wants to remarry;
- Registration process provides statistical data on deaths and causes of death; and
- It helps in the process of in updating population data;
More information which might help people.