Countries > Cameroon

Cameroon - Obtain Certificate of Celibacy / Single Status Certificate

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



Certificate of Celibacy (Certificat de Celibat) also known as the Affidavit of Civil Status , is an affidavit executed by the applicant stating his/her marital status. This document is one of the requirements a Cameroonian citizen needed to submit if he/she is planning to get married abroad or applying for a residence permit.

A Single Status Certificate also referred to as a No Marriage Affidavit, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or Certificate of No Impediment, is a sworn statement saying that you are eligible to marry.

Overseas marriage authorities often require further evidence that the party is free to marry. Such evidence may be a statement from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages that there is no record of the person having been previously married or a 'Single Status Certificate' or 'No Records Result'.

Following are procedures on how to obtain certificate of celibacy.


This certificate is only issued to Cameroonian citizens.

In order for non-nationals to marry in a foreign country you will most likely be required to produce legal documentation from your country of citizenship verifying single status and that you are free to marry. This is known as a 'Certificate of No Impediment', 'Certificate de Coutume', 'Certificate of Nulla Osta' or a 'Certificate of Freedom to Marry'.

Ads by Google


Certificates of Celibacy are issued by Cameroon Embassies and Consulates abroad.

Please also be aware that a standard Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment may be insufficient on its own to allow a marriage to take place in a foreign country. You may be required by the foreign authorities to comply with the following, so please ensure that you allow sufficient time for processing.

  • Certificates may need to be translated.
  • Certificates may need to be endorsed or exchanged for a locally acceptable version issued by your Embassy or Consulate in the country where you will marry.
  • Certificates may need to be legalized i.e. stamped with an official stamp known as an Apostille.
  • Certificates may require that witnesses swear an Affidavit stating that you are free to marry and that this is appended.

Required Information

  • Full Name
  • Passport or ID number
  • Place and Date of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Statement
  • Date
  • Signature of the person who declares
  • Signature of the witnesses


  1. Make sure that you call in first to make an appointment before you go to the Cameroon Embassy or Consulate in the country you are currently staying.
  2. When you go to the Cameroon Embassy or Consulate bring along a fully filled out but unsigned Affidavit of Civil Status form
  3. You will be required to sign the form in the presence of the consular officer. And you will also be asked to present your valid Cameroon passport.
  4. Pay the appropiate notary fee. You may also be required to have the completed Affidavit of Civil Status form legalized.

For Cameroonian citizens in The Netherlands go to the:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken)

Legalization Department

Bezuidenhoutseweg 67 Postbus 20061 2500 EB Den Haag

Telefoon : (07 03 48 47 87)

It is advisable to follow the guidelines that certain authorities deem necessary. Those wishing to marry overseas will need special documentation. First, couples will have to present a declaration that is processed by your local office where marriage documents are produced. This must be from the state where you live in the Cameroon. On this statement will be recorded the fact that there has not be any marriage in recent years.

Due to the fact that these types of documents are sought for foreign involvement one will need the local or state registrar’s account or declaration to be authenticated to work abroad.

  • Go to the Civil Registry office where marriages are registered.
  • Present and submit required documents.
  • Complete a form and declare.
  • Pay the fee.

Ads by Google

Required Documents

  • Completed Affidavit of Civil Status form
  • National identity card or Passport.
  • Proof of address.
  • If divorced, Decree Absolute.
  • If widowed, Death Certificate of previous spouse (and Marriage Certificate).
  • If your name has been changed by Deed Poll, proof is necessary.
  • The relevant fee.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Sample Documents

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time

Please explain the processing your application.    

Office Locations & Contacts

Minister of Foreign Affairs

Yaounde, Cameroon


Cameroon Embassies and Consulates Abroad

Contact Numbers of Foreign Embassies in Cameroon

Cameroon Diplomacy Website

Minister of Justice & Keeper of the Seals
P. O Box 1000, Yaounde Cameroun
Telephone: (+237) 22 23 55 56
Fax: (+237) 22 23 55 59

Consulates and Embassies

Ads by Google


Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Information which might help

If you are planning to marry in another country, you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment. This document has many different names such as Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marry, Statutory Declaration of Single Status, Affidavit of Intended Marriage, Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad, Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of No Impediment, Certificate of Nulla Osta, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or just free to marry.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

The Bride & Groom to be married must provide from their country of Citizenship, individual Certificates of non impediment, as proof that they are both indeed single and eligible to marry. This is also called an affidavit of single status or negative statement of marriage. This document can be obtained at the Bureau of Vital statistics in their city they reside.

External Links

  • Cameroon Embassy: The Netherlands

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Cameroon

Ministry of Justice of Cameroon


Through a sworn affidavit the applicant confirms that they are who they claim to be. The Single Status Letter or Affidavit says that they are able and free to marry among other things. Bear in mind that one fact about the Single Status Affidavit is that it is not a government document; rather, it is a letter from the affiant signed in front of a notary public. An interesting fact about this type of document is that there are many names given for it. For example look at this list: "Single Status Statutory Declaration" or a "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" or a "Single Status Certificate" or "Free-to-marry statement".

Personal tools