Bulgaria - Obtain a Driver License
Driving license in Bulgaria is an official document certifying the right of an individual to operate a trackless road vehicle. The driving license is issued by the Ministry of Interior Affairs which is holding the registration and activity reports on the capacity of the drivers of motor vehicles.
A person has the right to acquire a driving license if:
- Has completed primary education;
- Is physically fit to drive in the category chosen.
- Has passed the necessary training and a providing first aid course.
- Has undergone a test for proven psychological fitness for categories C, D1, D, Ttb.
- Successfully passed a test for a driver of a motor vehicle.
The minimum age for aquiring the rights to drive a vehicle and obtaining a driving license is is determined by the law:
- 16 years for category M
- 16 years for categories Tkt (tractor),A1, B1.
- 18 years for categories A,B,B+E,C1,C.
- 20 years for category C+E.
- 21 years for all other categories.
Ads by Google
To begin driving instruction enroll in a driving school. It is compulsory to take both theory and practical lessons with a driving school licensed by the Bulgarian Ministry of Transportation.
In order to enroll in a driving school a person must present a copy of ID card, a copy of a diploma, one passport size photo, medical certificate for category B driver which can be obtained from the GP.
The driving course includes three parts:
- A first aid course
- 40 hours of driving theory
- 24 hours of driving lessons
In addition the applicant must undergo a medical examination which can be done at most public hospitals. This includes an eye test and a general medical exam.
The first aid course is organised by the driving school which informs the learner where to attend classes. These involve a few lectures and some practical first aid training. Once the learner driver has attended these classes they are issued with a first aid certificate from the Bulgarian Red Cross.
The learner driver undergoes 40 hours of driving theory. The 800 multiple choice questions that are studied are available in English as well as German, French, Spanish, Italian and Bulgarian. Following the 40 hours of theory study, the test can be taken in any one of these languages.
The practical driving test takes place once the learner driver has carried out a minimum of 24 hours driving practice. The examination takes place on the premises of the driving school.
Once the above tests have been successfully completed, the applicant is issued with a certificate. They should take this to the local Traffic Police office with the following documents:
- Proof of identity
- Certificate stating that the theory and practical courses have been successfully passed
- First Aid certificate issued by the Bulgarian Red Cross
- Medical certificate
- Receipt for paid fees (in most cases the application fee can be paid at the cash desk in the Traffic Police office)
- A copy of school or university qualifications
- For certain license categories a psychological behavior certificate is required
- Proof of payment of previous road traffic violations (for some license categories)
The Road Traffic Office then issues a Bulgarian driving license.
Ads by Google
- ID card
- Both certificates for successful exams in theory and driving.
- Certificate for completed 6 hours course at the Bulgarian Red Cross
- Diploma - original and photocopy
- Slips for paid state taxes
- Medical certificate
Certificate for completed 6 hours course at the Bulgarian Red Cross-44lv
Medical certificate from the GP-15lv
The Bulgarian driving license is issued for 10 years and can be renewed after.
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
It may take up to 3 months or more to obtain a Bulgarian driving license and that is in case you passed all the tests and exams.
The driving schools and the contact info can be found here:
Bulgarian Traffic Police (КАТ)
бул. "Драган Цанков" № 33
1113 Sofia, Bulgaria
Phone: +359 2 982 4901
Monday to Friday
8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website
Traffic Police Department
гр.София, ул."Лъчезар Станчев" № 4
Ads by Google
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
There is no need to bring photos , you take a photo on the spot.
The driving license can be used as an ID card in many cases.
More information which might help people.