Bulgaria - Apply for Passport from Overseas
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Documents for passport services shall be submitted in person during the working hours of the Consular Office of the Embassy and after prior appointments when specific Embassy has introduced such a requirement.
- Under Bulgarian law, every Bulgarian citizen has the right to possess only one valid ordinary passport. Before receiving the new passport the person is required to surrender the old one for destruction in Consulate office.
- In case of loss or destruction of the passport a document from the local police is needed stating the facts of loss, destruction or theft of the document.
- In case of loss, theft or destruction of Bulgarian identity document, the holder shall notify the Consular section within 3 days. The passport is declared invalid. In these cases, an application for a new passport, and under certain exceptional circumstances - a temporary passport to return to Bulgaria shall be submitted.
- The newly issued passports are received in person by the applicant. This is necessary to be registered in advance in the application when completing the appropriate section to obtain the document.
- Upon receipt of a new passport is required to be returned the previous one, if any.
- Passports of minors, persons under the legal age or people under guardianship shall be received from their parents, guardians or custodians (mandatory Bulgarian citizens) upon signature and their names and data are recorded.
- Application form
- Supporting civil status documents confirming the application data
- Birth certificate for anyone under 18 years
- Previous passports (if any)
- Photos (qualifying)
- Document for paid state fee
Office Locations & Contacts
The office locations and contact info of Bulgarian Consular Services abroad where you can apply for a passport can be found in the link below:
Bulgarian passport is a Bulgarian identity document for travel abroad, issued to a citizen of Bulgaria, which helps to establish the person's identity and is proof of Bulgarian citizenship.
According to the Tariff of Fees issuance of passport is 40 Lev plus 20 Euros for the Consular Services in MFA.
The passport is valid for 5 years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- ordinary service-up to 90 days
- quick service-up to 60 days
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- In applications for passports for children, who are under 14 years of age in the signature field shall not put a signature neither the child nor the parents.
- For the issuance of passports to persons under 18 years both parents must sign in the presence of a consular officer. A birth certificate of the child / original or certified copy / must also be submitted. Signature of only one of the parents may be sufficient only when is presented one of the following documents:
- Notarized power of attorney on behalf of the other parent, the original or a copy certified by the consular officer at the embassy, and accompanied by a translation into Bulgarian. It must contain the requested consent from the other parent for a passport and travel abroad of the child.
- Court decision to revoke the parental rights of the absent parent
- Judgment or decree, which stipulates that a passport to the child without proof that the second parent is deceased may be issued.
- Act of Bulgarian or foreign court, confirmed by Bulgarian court that the other parent is missing.
An application for a passport contains data on:
- parents (names, date of birth, citizenship and personal number of foreigner)
- spouse (s) (names, date of birth, nationality, identification number or personal number of foreigner)
- children up to 14 years (name, date of birth, nationality, identification number or personal number of foreigner)
- legal representative (name, date of birth, nationality, identification number or personal number of foreigner)
- Decree of the President of the Republic of Bulgaria to change nationality
Need for the Document
For Bulgarian citizens residing abroad may be issued the following Bulgarian personal identity documents:
- ID card
- Drivers license
- temporary passport
Information which might help
- Bulgarian personal documents are property of the state. Citizens holding passports are required to keep them from destruction, loss or damage. Citizens who have lost, damaged or destroyed their passport shall be fined according to administrative and penal provisions of the Bulgarian Identity Documents Act.
- Old documents (identity card and passport) are announced invalid and are registered in the Ministry of Interior system so they cannot be used by individuals anymore.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- Passports are issued to Bulgarian citizens for border crossing and residence abroad.
- Passport is the official identity document in a foreign country.
More information which might help people.