Bulgaria - Apply for Bulgarian Student Visa
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The main way of enrolment into the Bulgarian institutes of higher education is through your own inquiry - you could contact directly the authorities of the particular University. They will send you a guide and advise you about the necessary procedure. As a result of this procedure you will receive from the University the ORIGINAL ADMISSION LETTER issued by the Ministry of Education of Bulgaria valid as a Visa Support Document. After that you could apply for a student visa at the Bulgarian Embassy.
- An application for a long-stay visa (type-D) shall be filed only in diplomatic and consular representations of permanent residence of the applicant or those representations accredited in the State of permanent residence of the applicant.
- Persons who have been legally resident in a third country other than country of their permanent residence may exceptionally submit application in that country after explaining the reasons for this, and if return to their country of residence is guaranteed.
- When submitting an application for a long-stay visa interview with the applicant is required. Exemptions do not apply.
- visa application form
- valid passport
- Photocopy of passport valid for at least one year
- Acceptance letter from University
- 2 current passport photos (European sized - 3.5x4.5cm).
- Housing letter
- Health insurance letter certifying that the student will have insurance upon arrival
- Document proving that you will be able to cover your living expenses-valid bank account
Office Locations & Contacts
You can find the nearest embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria where you can apply for long term (student) visa in the link below:
First requirement for those who are interested in joining an institute of higher education in Bulgaria is a Diploma or Certificate proving successful completion of the previous stage of education.
If you are preparing to come to Bulgaria as a student then you will need to first apply to a college or university in the country and get accepted for admission to a degree granting program. It is important to make sure that the school that you are applying to is an approved Bulgarian higher educational institution. You will have to be able to show that you have sufficient financial means to cover the cost of your education as well as general living expenses while in Bulgaria. You will also need to submit to a medical exam to prove that you are in good health.
For some countries, depending on agreements between Bulgarian and their governments fees will not be applied while for others there is a fee for issuance of long-stay (student) visa.
Long-stay visa D valid up to one year and the right of stay up to 360 days may be issued to foreigners who commit research or students in training programs for up to one academic year, graduate students or trainees.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
You can expect it to take about a month for the Ministry of Education and Science to look over your application and render their decision on it.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Once you have been granted admission to a Bulgarian university or college you will need to send you admission documentation as well as the proper paperwork for a long stay visa to the Ministry of Education and Science in Bulgaria. The Bulgarian visas are issued by the Bulgarian embassies and consulates abroad, not at the airports or the land and sea passport control points in Bulgaria.
- Full name
- Date and place of birth
- Name and address of the college/university
- Financial information
- Medical information
- Criminal records
- Permanent address
Need for the Document
The second step to study in Bulgaria, after getting acceptance letter is to apply for Bulgarian student visa (D-type visa) valid from 3 to 6 months. Bulgarian student visa can be obtained from any Diplomatic Mission abroad for students fulfilling some requirements. By getting a student visa, you are making sure that you are legally in the country.
Information which might help
- Upon entry in Bulgaria all foreign nationals will be required to fill out a form /at the respective point of entry/ providing information about the purpose of their travel to Bulgaria and the address of stay in the country.
- Within 5 days of arrival in Bulgaria, students must register with the police.
- Holder of long-stay visa (D) is entitled to multiple entries in the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria within the period of its validity.
- Long-stay (student) visa is canceled upon issuance of a residence permit from the authorities for administrative control of foreigners.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Once you actually arrive in Bulgaria you will be issued a Bulgarian ID card with your Type D visa. If you do not have a Type D visa you will not be able to be issued a Bulgarian ID card. This is important because you cannot register as a student at a Bulgarian university or college without a Bulgarian ID card.
More information which might help people.